New member needs Raccoon control help

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mstexchick, Apr 28, 2009.

1. mstexchick

mstexchick New Egg

Apr 28, 2009
    I just joined BYC 5 minutes ago....need innovative ideas re: raccoons, how to get rid of them.
    I have a flood light and radio on photo cell that was working well...however, last night they came back and tore off wood to get in and made off with another of my hens. We have re-inforced the chicken yard and coop and and couldn't believe they ripped off the wood. We have had chickens for 23 years and never had this problem to this extent. Their tracks were unmistakable..definitely raccoons. ANY SUGGESTIONS ?

2. danielbrown

danielbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Spartanburg, sc
    [​IMG]
    Use a trap or wait around at with a gun a good distance away but with a good view of the coop.

3. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    Welcome! If you can't get away with shooting it sometimes your local ag extension office, animal controol, or dnr office can loan you a trap. Good luck!

4. SoJoChickens

SoJoChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Fountain Green, UT
  5. bgreen65

bgreen65 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Marble Falls, TX.
    About a month ago I started having coon problems, tore the chicken wire off the door to my run. He did not get in the hen house. I set a big trap that I got at Tractor supply. I covered it so they could not reach in. Baited it with a oreo cookie, caught one, then I started alternating with weiners. I have now dispatched 35 coons, three fox, 4 skunks, 3 feral cats, & one snake with the nest egg. I don't when I will get them all, but I get something every night. I think I am gaining on them.

6. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    How about running hot wire around the coop at a few different levels? A bit off the ground as well as around the top should help deter those buggers! You only need to turn it on at night so the chickens will be safe.

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Unless you have dogs. I run hot wire as much for dogs in the daytime as raccoons at night. I close my babies inside at night, but if raccoons start ripping the WOOD off my coop then I'm gonna hafta step up the electrical system!!

8. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    Coons are VERY clever. Only way I have ever stopped one was with my 20g. Have to sit outside sometimes for hours~sometimes all night but they always come back.

Am doing that now looking for one that just killed one of my roosters and a hen. I do lock all my chickens up at night but I was ill one time and a couple got out and into a tall tree to roost.

Now only way I will not go out and make sure they are all in is if I am on my death bed.

Your racoon must be pretty persistant to tear off a board. Hope you get him soon.

9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    i got the idea from a garden with a chicken run on the out side.

the basic idea is the chicken are fenced in but you dont want the poultry and the dog together.
    along the outside of the chicken area run a second second fence with door dog house and everything and let the dog run in there.
    imagine the chicken run as a large rectangle with a larger rectangle surronding it. the dog goes between the two fences. should keep any preds out.

10. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    Live trap bated with cat food works wonders for me but it is not for all I know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by