new member needs to know

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Philmon, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Philmon

Philmon New Egg

Nov 19, 2013
    Hi, I just joined Back Yard Chickens today. I am going through my first winter with my first flock. I bought several new chicks this spring. We have a nice hand made chicken coop and we have just recently began to leave the fence open so our chickens can go all over the yard looking for food. We used to keep them pinned up because of our Pomeranian. He bit three chickens and broke the necks of both guineas. I decided to give him away. This spring I plan on buying more guineas and a couple of peacocks. I tried to let one of my hens raise a few baby chicks. She sat on those eggs for a month or more but other hens would lay beside her and she couldn't keep all of the eggs warm. One day my first egg cracked open and I found a dead baby chick sitting in the shell with the top off. I think it froze. I took the rest of the eggs and cracked them open to find five baby chickens and the rest of the eggs were yolks. I think next time I'll mark the original eggs with a marker and remove all the additional eggs laid. If I don't get a live chick that way then I'll use an incubator. My chickens love to eat my cat's food just as much as their own food. Will this spoil the eggs?

2. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome to BYC!

3. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Cat food is very high in protein, so they will devour it. It is not a balanced food for chickens so just limit the amount. I give it to sick chickens to give them a quick boost.
    Welcome and enjoy BYC!
    Steve :frow

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    [​IMG] Enjoy your flock!

9. Dawnshka

Dawnshka Just Hatched

Oct 24, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Welcome. I'm new at this too but this site is the best by far for information!

So, something to consider about cat food and eggs... I've heard, on here, that if you feed the chickens fishy stuff, the eggs will take on that flavor. So just be aware of what's going in will also, come out in the egg. Just my 2 cents. I think I'm right in thinking that? Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still learning too. Good luck. :) Bock

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by