New member - no chickens yet but getting there

15498_seattle_4.jpg

Imp

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Maryland. My husband and I have eight chickens and usually get 7 or 8 eggs a day. We usually give two of our three kids a dozen a week, and the third eats breakfast here a couple of days a week. Right now there are three dozen eggs in my 'fridge so I will take a couple dozen to work with me tomorrow. Hubs suggested I start selling the extras but I don't know. My neighbors are asking...
smile.png

An earlier poster said that a few extras is a good idea. I agree.

When I started I only wanted 3 hens, but the feed store wouldn't sell me less than 4 so that's what we got. Their sign actually said minimum of 6 but we talked them down because while the coop we built said it would wor for 6 chickens we didn't want our girls to be too cramped.

Warning: No matter how many you start with, build the coop big enough for more chickens 'cause once you own chickens you will want more!!! I fear I may need a second coop in a year or so :)

Very good idea to check out all the information about coops, predators, feeding, etc before you get your chickens. 2 chickens will not be enough! Unless you live in an apartment! Definitely check out space requirements for your pen. How many chickens you get should depend on how much space you have available for a coop and run and any ordinances if you live in town or a subdivision, plus how many eggs you want a day. Most breeds won't lay an egg every day. Check out the Breeds page for that kind of info. Anyway, have fun and good luck!

Go for 3 they are so much fun! Buy one of the rare breeds!
frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from Washington State glad you joined us!

Back
Top Bottom