New member of BYC from Tennessee

CarolJ

Dogwood Trace Farm
8 Years
Jun 3, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I've been reading up on keeping chickens, I've asked friends who keep them, and I've visited their coops - I've planned and plotted. And it's now time to put all I've learned into action. But it's one thing to read about it, and quite another thing to actually have live chickens depending on me!

We will get our coop later this week - and then we'll buy some 4-month old pullets next week from a nearby farm. We plan to have layers only - just for our family and friends. We live on acreage that is mostly wooded - with hawks, owls, bobcats, coyotes, raccoons and many other predators around. So we chose a coop with an attached 12 x 4 pen that has welded wire mesh covering the top and sides. That's the only way they'll be able to survive here. On the inside of the coop there are two nesting boxes on one side and a roosting pole across the other side.

After considering the farm's inventory of pullets, I thought of getting 3 Araucanas, 1 Little Black Giant, 2 New Hampshire Reds, and 2 Welsummers. My ideal flock would be 4 - 6 hens. However, I've been told that we should get 2 or 3 extras since it's likely some won't make it very long. Is that true - even if we protect them from predators? I'm sure the animals in the woods around us will do their best to get into the pen and coop. And it sure is hot here in TN during the summer. So the weather might be stressful to them - although part of the pen will be in the shade.

Before I make my final decision on which breeds to get - what do you think of the plan I described above? Is that a good mixture of breeds? I want only blue and brown eggs. Does the coop and pen set-up seem sufficient to protect them from predators and provide enough room for 8 chickens? I have pine shavings to put on the floor of the coop, and straw to put in the nesting boxes. The guy at the farmers co-op told me I should feed them food made for chicks until they start laying. So I have a big bag of chick feed. I've got the water and feed trays ready. What am I forgetting????

Thanks!
Carol

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC. Ensure your coop and pen are built like Ft Knox, your chickens will be your gold. For 4 month old pullets, feed them starter/grower feed. At 20 weeks old or when they lay their first egg, switch over to layer feed.

welcome-byc.gif
from NW Tennessee
smile.png

I adore my NH... she is the sweetest thing.
I personally don't have the other so I can't help...

I understand about the heat... I cannot believe the heat index is over 111 degrees!!!! It is unreal.
I keep mine in a converted horse stall and the top is welded wire and we get plenty of air circulation. They get to free-range in the yard many days.
Still working on the winter coop plans... have ideas... share pictures on here... I would love to see what you have.

Back
Top Bottom