New Member Pequea, PA

BHCF

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 19, 2013
HI, from PA, if anyone is wondering what BHCF means, it's short for Bald headed chicken farmer my co-workers gave me the name, along with a nice cartoon picture when I first got my hens. Anyhow, I started out with 6 Road island reds and lost two to a Red tail hawk, and the following year I bought, two sex links, and three wyanndottes two of which turned out to be roosters. Then I took 4 more Reds in and lost three more to the hawks. I'm pretty much the only egg eater in my house, so I end up giving away a lot of eggs. So far I've enjoyed having the chickens,with very little issue aside from the hawk & neighbors complaining about the roosters (they had to find a new home :(

so the main reason I joined, I have a hen that won't stand anymore. I found her in the coop, with a laid egg, and crap stuck to her butt. I managed to remove the egg easily as it had all ready been laid, and washed her down with some warm water to clean her up. she hasn't moved for about a week (checking on her, making sure she can get food & water). she seems fine other than she won't stand. I checked her legs, to see if I could feel anything, and the movement is there so nothing broken? someone suggested that maybe her legs froze? Nothing indicates to me that this happened either scales look normal color. I'm thinking an internal problem from laying eggs? what do you all think?

Thanks for your help!

Chris

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

The best place to post your question is in the Injuries and Diseases section of the forum, look under teh Raising Backyard Chickens tab above. good luck.

Greetings from Kansas, BHCF, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard!! Sorry to hear about those red-tailed hawks! I X2 the advice of 1muttsfan about checking out the Injuries/Diseases forum - lots of wise folks patrol that thread. Best wishes to you and your hen!

Thank you and I found the emergencies section, and have had several really quick replies, and lots of good info.

Back
Top Bottom