New member questions

kWEEN_k0BRA

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2022
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I’m new to chickens, started in April.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

(3) What breeds do you have?
Brahma, Australorp, Silver-laced Wyandotte, and Barred Rock.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Their personalities.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Trying to grow my own food.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
We’ve got 3 dogs, the chickens, and soon to have a breeding pair of fainting goats.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
I found BYC by googling many, many, many questions.

Are you planning to grow your chickens for meat AND eggs? If so, you might want to invest in an incubator for when you're ready for new chicks and your hens aren't.
Do you have any cockerels in your flock of six? If so, how many? If you have more than one, how will you reduce the number of males breeding your girls? A separate run & coop, finding new homes for the excess males, or sending them off to freezer camp are some options. It helps to think about this sort of thing long before you need to decide.
If you intend to eat some of your birds, you might want to name them after food; omelet, kay-ef-cee, drumstick, dumpling, etc... at least until you've reconciled caring for (even loving) your animals AND eating them. This method of naming also helps if you're introducing children to the notion of eating animals raised by yourselves.

Back
Top Bottom