New Member seeking guidance

k-rae

Hatching
May 10, 2015
Arcadia, Florida
[/IMG]Uh oh. I am caring for 3 hens that survived an attack by a bobcat (one didn't) and by the time I noticed the wounds, they were packed tight with dirt. The claw wounds were extremely deep and I cleaned all dirt and feathers from area with peroxide and purified water but then I messed up. I have been applying Neosporin +pain relief to these animals for the past week. Not my birds, but couldn't not try and help them after the owner refused to put them down. Please Help me, help them. I have been "packing" the huge wounds full of Neosporin with pain relief.

Well, if they are still alive the pain reliever didn't seem to damage them. Many chickens can survive some awful wounds, and this picture doesn't look like there is infection. I would probably not use peroxide more than once or twice since it may prevent healing, but betadine or chlorhexadene are good, and some just use soap or saline. Plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic ointment is good. These things take awhile to heal over a couple of weeks. Keep flies away to prevent maggot infestation, and give them a little extra protein in some egg or canned tuna to promote healing.

Well, if they are still alive the pain reliever didn't seem to damage them. Many chickens can survive some awful wounds, and this picture doesn't look like there is infection. I would probably not use peroxide more than once or twice since it may prevent healing, but betadine or chlorhexadene are good, and some just use soap or saline. Plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic ointment is good. These things take awhile to heal over a couple of weeks. Keep flies away to prevent maggot infestation, and give them a little extra protein in some egg or canned tuna to promote healing. 

It was infested when I first saw it. It has eaten a hole in her leg bone and she waa unable to stand. She is now standing on one leg. Bathing and caring for these hens is how I noticed the red rash and found the mites. Oh my goodness, now I am about to treat them with 7 dust. TG for this web page.

It was infested when I first saw it. It has eaten a hole in her leg bone and she waa unable to stand. She is now standing on one leg. Bathing and caring for these hens is how I noticed the red rash and found the mites. Oh my goodness, now I am about to treat them with 7 dust. TG for this web page.

Back
Top Bottom