1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Member - Thirsty for Duck Knowledge

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dewnrb, May 27, 2017.

1. Dewnrb

Dewnrb Just Hatched

May 27, 2017
    Hello Everyone,

I am new to the site and the whole fowl world. I am an animal lover - and now the proud owner of a fertile duck egg (thanks to my dogs running the mother off of her nest!) It went in the incubator on May 9. I bought an incubator and from what I have read, am doing everything right. I am not for sure the type of duck I have - so don't know if it will hatch in 28 or 34 days. I read where you should stop turning the egg two days out - so I am a little nervous about that. I have been all over the internet and landed here for forums and knowledge. I read online that the ducklings should not be left alone at all for a time. Is this true? I am trying to learn what to do after it hatches, as well and trying to decide if we can keep it or if we should try and take it to a zoo or other type place to take care of it. Any advice would be appreciated on our duck dilemma - as we really don't know what we are doing - except for online searching and have ordered a book, too.

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Hi! It's Wicked's Twin Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Welcome to BYC.
    Where are you located? (general area)

3. Dewnrb

Dewnrb Just Hatched

May 27, 2017
    I am in West Lafayette, IN

4. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Hi! It's Wicked's Twin Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
  5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Best of luck with your incubation!

6. Dewnrb

Dewnrb Just Hatched

May 27, 2017
    KikisGirls likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    you may also want to check out the "Duck thread." Sending good hatching vibes your way.

Dewnrb likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by