New Member to BYC

randalltwilli

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 2, 2013
Shelton, WA
Hi.

My name is Randall, my wife Desiree and I are fairly new to chickens. We got our first chicken back in Sept 2012. We wanted 6 but ended up with 8. Before we got our first bunch I did a lot of research which included visiting this site and reading many, many posts. I researched the breeds and coops and how to properly care for them. I read a post on "chicken math". In every instance of getting new chickens, chicken math came into play. So, our first group consisted of three straight run Rhode Island Reds, two of which turned out to be boys, one Ameraucuna, one Plymouth Barred Rock, one White Leghorn, one Buff Orpington, and White Crested Black Polish. Once we found out we had two roosters, I did some more reading about them and found out that two are bad together, but three are better. So, we acquired an Ameraucauna Rooster. In early March this year we went to the Farm Supply store and wanted to get four more hens to increase our fun and egg production. The store only sold six or more, so four turned into six (more chicken math). That group consisted of two more Ameraucana's, two Silver Laced Wyandottes, and two Black Australorp (one of which turned out to be a boy, darn the luck). Then a friend wanted me to brood some new hens he bought at the same store. So, we had 12 baby's growing in my shop. My friend came to get his chicks at about two months old and left me 2 of his Ameraucanas for my flock. My original Ameraucana was eaten by some predator. My wife says it was a hawk. We were very sad for about a week and we still miss her.

So, the total of my flock is 16, 12 girls and four boys. We also have two boys, 17 and 7, a girl, 10, and a girl due in Nov. We also have three dogs, a Yellow Lab/Golden Retriever mix, a Black Lab, and a Chocolate Lab, two cats, two Robo hamsters, and I think 14 fish but I lost count.

I enjoy tending to my flock, and woodworking. I am always looking to improve my coop and chicken yard.

I am excited to dive into the world of talking chicken with other enthusiasts. I have many questions that I am sure someone out there will have an answer for.

Thanks for reading.

Randall

welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif
if you go to "where am I, where are you," you can locate your state thread and post on it - that would put you in touch with others from your area

I agree that my ratio is on the high side. We bought 8 chicks to start. 5 were pullets and 3 were straight run RIR. I ended up with 2 roos outta that batch. Then I was reading that 1 roo is good, 2 roos are bad. 3 roos are better than 2. So I received a third and fourth roo from a friend (Ameracauna and a silky). I had all the roos in a separate pen from the girls. Then the 3 roos started picking on the silky so I gave him back. Down to three. They stay in the pen, which is good. Then I bought a 6 piece from TSC. 98% gaurentee of girls. I got a boy in the mix. Boy was I mad. Back to 4 roos. This boy is a Black Australorp. He is determined to stay with the girls. I have put him in the pen with the boys and every morning I find him in the hen house. I even clipped his wing and he still got out. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom