New Member & very thankful for this site!

llisamac

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2017
Central Mass
Hello -

I do not yet own chickens, but I can't wait!
I love this site so much! I hope you guys never get sick of hearing that from new members. Your insight and experience, along with your willingness to share that wealth of information is fantastic!
I'm in my fifties now, but when I was 11 years old, I came home from school one afternoon to find 20 Rhode Island Reds in an old chicken coop that was already on the property when we moved in a few years before. It was a complete surprise and then he told me they were mine to take care of! I had never even been around a chicken before.
And I fell in love immediately.
For me it was an unhappy ending, because, never having been around a farm of any type, I had no idea that he planned on having the girls butchered, when they stopped laying. I named them all, carried them around the yard, etc..... So the end, a few years later, was horrible.
Now, my husband and I are planning on keeping chickens, starting this fall. He is insisting on building a coop, himself and we will look into buying some pullets, I think, at that time. There will be no meat birds and we fully plan to let our girls live out there full lives with us. The eggs will be a plus, but I mostly just want to interact with them. (We also plan to have a few goats and ducks, eventually.)
Thanks again for adding me to this awesome site and I look forward to interacting with all of you, as well and my chickens, when I get them. For now, I'll continue to soak up all the knowledge I can, so I can be an awesome chicken Mom.
BTW, I live in north central Massachusetts, but we will be making the move to northern Maine in a few years - we have some land and a cabin there and plan to build ourselves a little homestead.

Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. I'm sure that you will slip very easily back into the swing of keeping chickens.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

RE: your coop build - you may wish to check out the Coops section as well as join your state thread to see what features you may wish to include in your build, considering your local climate - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

Best wishes
CT

welcome-byc.gif

Greetings from Kansas, llisamac, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! Sounds like you are doing it right - getting the learning and research done and then taking the plunge this fall. Your Maine cabin sounds beautiful! Careful for bears - they love chicken! Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!
D.gif

welcome-byc.gif

It sounds like you have some fun plans in your future, best of luck with all of them!

G’Day from down under llisamac
frow.gif
Welcome!

Yikes! What a sad introduction to chickens. I too would have been devastated. We only have 5 spoiled bantams and they are definitely pets and not destined for the dinner table.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Thank you redsoxs, N F C and Teila! And I will have to build with bears in mind, because we have them on our property. Also have some lynx in the general area - al lot of woods. I think the moose and deer won't be a problem, which is good because we have a ton of those on our property.

Last edited:
Welcome llisamac to BYC I also only have chooks for pets couldn't possibly do the dirty deed. I hope when you get your chooks everything goes well. You must keep us posted and pics.

Back
Top Bottom