New member Washington State

Welcome to BYC - sorry for this situation. For the safety of your flock, you can not afford to take these birds back. I understand your concern for the birds, but they are now her responsibility. I'd explain the reasons that they can not return to her. If you choose to refund her money, that would be a generous move. Good luck in your decision.

Welcome to BYC from Arizona! This is the place to be for all your chicken news, connections to fabulous fowl folks and more!

Thank you for sharing this story with us. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. This is one of the things I'm concerned about if I ever sell or even give birds away even to people I know.

I know of another rare breeder who has a facebook group (closed group - you have to answer questions on the breed & ask to be admitted) of others trying to conserve that dual purpose breed. I don't know if starting a group or belonging to a group like that might help you find more experienced or like-minded people to sell to in the future. Even though it's a closed group there are a few members who don't understand that breeding/conservation requires culling (rehoming or in the typical way) and there is occasional heated discussion on this aspect of conservation. This rare breed is dual purpose - it was bred for meat and eggs - the original breed goals
:welcome

Hello, that is a tricky situation with the buyer. You've tried giving her tips and assistance but it sounds like she isn't willing to listen. I wouldn't take them back for fear of passing something on to your flock. If the money isn't an issue for you, I'd refund her money but leave it up to her to figure out what to do with the birds. And as already said, don't sell to her again.

Sorry you're in this mess. Hope things work out for you!
I had to really think hard about this for 24 hours. Haste makes bad outcomes. My solution is to explain the issues with cross contamination etc and why I won't risk taking them back. They weren't what I consider keepers or breeding stock. Let's say pet quality. I'm going to write them off the list. I'm going to offer her 50% of her money back and tell her to keep them or rehome them. She came recommended by word of mouth. I can't control what happens to the birds once they leave, however I can definitely control what comes into my flock. As far as the culling etc sad but true. I usually keep the non breeders for eggs and i do have a rooster that's going to live out his life here. No fun with the hens though for Gerald. He is my photo rooster for my page. 😊

Welcome to BYC - sorry for this situation. For the safety of your flock, you can not afford to take these birds back. I understand your concern for the birds, but they are now her responsibility. I'd explain the reasons that they can not return to her. If you choose to refund her money, that would be a generous move. Good luck in your decision.
Happy Ending
I ended up talking to the Husband. I told him I couldn't take them back, however I would refund their money but they were responsible for reforming them. Surprise of all...the Husband had to step in and take control. He loves chickens and is building them their own enclosure. None of the information given to the wife was related to the Husband including which vaccines and the great and weird with them. He had no idea about them sleeping in trees, however he has Icelandic chickens and stated they sleep in trees also. Happy ending for all involved( especially the Sicilians)

Happy Ending
I ended up talking to the Husband. I told him I couldn't take them back, however I would refund their money but they were responsible for reforming them. Surprise of all...the Husband had to step in and take control. He loves chickens and is building them their own enclosure. None of the information given to the wife was related to the Husband including which vaccines and the great and weird with them. He had no idea about them sleeping in trees, however he has Icelandic chickens and stated they sleep in trees also. Happy ending for all involved( especially the Sicilians)
Typo relayed to the Husband

Back
Top Bottom