NEW MEMBER! When/Why/How to worm

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DaveinAnaheim, Jun 14, 2016.

1. DaveinAnaheim

DaveinAnaheim New Egg

Jun 14, 2016
    Greetings! I'm a new member who is curious about the process of worming. I received 3 18 month old Rhode Island Reds that where rescued from the butcher after serving a year in a egg factory operation.

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to worm them.

What are your thoughts/suggestions?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you join us.

Since they came from an industrial farm, worming would probably be a good idea. There are lots of different options for worming - Wazine is really the only licensed poultry wormer, but only works for Roundworms. Praziquantel is off label for chickens but kills more species of worms, including tapeworms. Ivermectin is popular as well though it is also off label. Some people recommend garlic powder and Apple Cide Vinegar as natural options, but there is little scientific evidence that these are effective - and if they are, it is likely only as a preventative measure. Oregano oil is another natural option, and it has been scientifically proven to have noticeable effect in eradicating worms on organic farms; but I personally would not trust it to kill a known and established infestation.

In this case I would recommend either treating with either Wazine (roundworms are common) or Ivermectin, and you can add oregano oil or one of the other natural options at your discretion.

1 person likes this.
  3. DaveinAnaheim

DaveinAnaheim New Egg

Jun 14, 2016
    Thank you. Should I do a fecal smear to verify infestation and worm type?

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

If you are willing to pay to have a vet test them, then yes, that would be a great idea. Who knows, they may turn out to be completely worm free - I usually don't recommend treating unless there is a confirmed diagnosis or obvious signs of an issue, but in this sort of case - with ex-industrial birds- there's generally a good chance that their previous poor conditions have left them with unwanted stragglers, so precautionary treatment is a reasonable course of action. But if you're willing to seek out a vet, that's even better.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think it would be prudent to worm them. Have you also checked for mites/lice?

6. DaveinAnaheim

DaveinAnaheim New Egg

Jun 14, 2016
    They seem to be free of mites/lice. But I might do a dusting just to be safe.

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by