New member with a couple of questions

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nessaldc, Dec 13, 2016.

1. nessaldc

nessaldc New Egg

Dec 13, 2016
    Hi all :) I'm so glad I found this site! First time chicken Mama here. Our hen just had baby chicks a few days ago. I got them chick starter food and a little thing for water and they're doing great eating. They stay close to their Mama for heat. We usually let the chickens roam, but my mom has kept the door to the coop closed (it's pretty big). I guess my question is do you think it's ok to leave the door open and let them out? There's two other chickens and a rooster in there and I feel like they're getting bored.

Also anything else I need to do for the babies besides their special food? We've just been letting them sleep with their mama. We're expecting rain this weekend and i almost want to bring them into the garage to keep them warm too. Not sure what you guys recommend for that :) any advice is appreciated!!

2. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

My feeling is their mama hen will lead them outside when she thinks it's time for them. She should be doing a good job of keeping them warm too (as long as she's being a good mother, some chickens aren't).

There are a lot of articles in the Learning Center that might be helpful to you, the section on raising baby chicks might be the first place to start:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks

Have fun with the little ones, they grow quickly!

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under nessaldc [​IMG] Welcome!

Congratulations on your little ones! I love watching a mumma hen with her babies; so sweet!

Your profile does not say where you are located but I am guessing somewhere where it is currently colder?

Because I am in Aus, I cannot comment on colder climates but if it is not too cold and your chicks can easily follow mumma hen up and down a small ramp, or in and out of the coop etc, they should be fine. Having said that, it also depends on your predator situation. As N F C has mentioned, mumma hen will also know if/when she wants to take them outside and should keep them warm enough.

If they are good mothers I pretty much leave a mumma hen to raise her little ones but still keep an eye on things just in case something crops up and she drops the ball; taking them inside out of the rain etc.

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

It should be fine for her to go outside, even in cold weather, but I hope you don't have her with the other chickens? It's by far ideal to separate broodies and their chicks from the rest of the flock for a multitude of reasons.

5. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

6. nessaldc

nessaldc New Egg

Dec 13, 2016
    yes they've all been together for a few days. My step dad seems to think they need to bond or else they'll reject the chicks. I was worried about that which is why I wanted them separate, but so far everyone is getting along and loving the new little babies :)

7. nessaldc

nessaldc New Egg

Dec 13, 2016

Hi! I'm in Southern California, so my cold isn't the same as other people's cold I suppose. It'll get like 50 degrees at night. My mom and step dad said they saw a hawk before the chicks were born so they're worried about him swooping in and getting his hands on one which is why I think they dont want to let them out.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    My cold currently is 7.2 degrees F- bitter cold. I would follow your hen's lead IF, she is being a good mother.

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and my warmest welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you decided to join the community and I do hope you will make yourself at home here! :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by