1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New member with a lot to learn!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by thefutilefarmer, Feb 13, 2017.

1. thefutilefarmer

thefutilefarmer New Egg

Feb 13, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    Hi! After 6 months of cruising this site for chicken advice, I figured it was about time to get an account. I have 30 red sussex chickens, and a few roosters (1 americana, 1 polish and 1 unknown). This summer I'm going to be upsizing my flock and maybe be adding in some heritage chickens. I alsi want some really colourful eggs. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I also started a blog the other day so if anyone's interested feel free to check it out : https://thefutilefarmer.wordpress.com/

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, futilefarmer, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Sounds like you have a pretty firm base of poultry experience under your belt. Check out the Breeds Forum that will list attributes of different breeds - including egg color. https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds
    I do know that Easter Eggers, Olive Eggers, and a breed called Whiting True Blue will provide you some color in the egg basket. And if you haven't located it yet, you can chat with some of your chicken owning "neighbors" in the Canada thread in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Good luck with all your plans!

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and my warmest welcome to the flock! I am quite pleased you decided to join us, please pull up a chair and make yourself at home here! I hope you enjoy it here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under thefutilefarmer [​IMG] Welcome!

redsoxs has given you some good starting points so I will just wish you good luck.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

6. Purple House

Purple House Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2016
    Kentucky
    Hello and welcome from another New Egg. I'm planning on creating some Olive Eggers this summer for more color to my eggs [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    There are also breeds that produce dark brown eggs, and non breed but very popular Easter Eggers that lay pastel eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by