New member with a question!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sprawli, May 28, 2010.

1. sprawli

sprawli Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    What a big surprise! I am a new member. I have 8 chickens that I just built a coop for and attached our old 10' by 10' dog run for some run around area. I am planning on building a small tractor/ark to semi-free-range them when I can. We have raccoons in the area, so I have to be extra careful. Six of my hens are about 16-17 weeks old: One Hamburg, one Australorp, one Buff Orpington, two Leghorn or California White, and one white with greenish legs but looks like her feathers are dirty on the edges all the time - not quite sure what she is. We also got two more:

[​IMG]

I think the small one (about 6-7 weeks) is Ameraucana or Araucana. The older one (12-14 weeks?) I thought was either ISA Brown or some type of sex link. I am pretty sure it is part Rhode Island Red, but not too sure. Any help?

Thanks!

2. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Where did you get your chicks from? Can you ask the folks you bought them from what breeds are possible? That will help you narrow it down.

3. sprawli

sprawli Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    I thought he told me it was a red sex link, but they are supposed to have white flecks. I'll email the guy, although I don't know if he'll remember. I know he had Rhode Island Reds and ISA Browns. He also had the white and black Wyandottes...

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. If you can get seperate pics of them and post them in the "What gender" column on the index page, you will get more help identify them there. Everyone loves to play the guessing game. [​IMG]

5. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    [​IMG] from Ohio! [​IMG] Glad you joined! [​IMG]

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

7. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    [​IMG] from Eastern Kentucky.