New member with a question

laurachickmommy

Hatching
May 19, 2015
So after a year of raising a RIR, a mutt mommy and a rooster from down the street who decided this was home, I decided to do some research and find just the right ladies. We waited patiently for our local feed store to have their chick days, and I purchased 12 buff orpingtons. I have been rather happy with my new gals, but something seemed odd. All but 1 were very similar in color to my RIR, but not quite as dark. They were not the beautiful golden blondes I was hoping for. After checking with the feed store, they were also selling NHR that day. So my question is, how on earth can I tell which ones are buff if any, and who is a New Hampshire? The feed store doesn't have more buffs, and I'm not sure I could get rid of my ladies anyhow.. Any thoughts.. Thank you!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. If you will post a pic of them, we should be able to tell you whether they are BOs or NHs (sounds like Production Reds are another strong possibility especially since feed stores commonly sell Production Reds as NHs or RIRs). Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your hens.

Thank you thank you! That's a possibility, the Gus at the feed store said the ones I got would probably lay better than the buffs. And while we love the eggs, I'm more about sitting in the back yard and enjoying them, that's why we chose the buffs because of their friendliness.

This is a picture of Rambo the RIR. She was the only one out of 3 to make it,. So that's how she got her name, and Colonel Sanders our resident rooster. If anyone knows what he is that would be nice to know too.

Another pic with the real rooster in the bunch, she is always so worried about them and constantly trying to protect them and keep them together,.. Well, maybe she thinks she's a momma hen too

Thank you thank you! That's a possibility, the Gus at the feed store said the ones I got would probably lay better than the buffs. And while we love the eggs, I'm more about sitting in the back yard and enjoying them, that's why we chose the buffs because of their friendliness.
You're welcome. I'm glad you were able to get their pics posted and I surmised correctly. Your birds are Production Reds rather than BOs or NHs. And Gus is correct, they will outlay the BOs, although, having had both (I still have BOs in my flock), the BOs do tend to have the calmer and more gentle temperament.

Back
Top Bottom