New member with broody chickens

Ddgsv58

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2021
I have two broody Easter Eggers. They had 6 eggs. Broke 4 in the first few days. The 5th. They crushed as it was starting to hatch the last one Is late to hatch, but the shell is broken - looks like from the out side membrane not broken. Chicken does not seem to be moving. Why are they breaking the shells?

Hello, and welcome to BYC. Are they setting in the same nest? If so jostling for control of the eggs is probably inadvertently causing them to break. In my experience co brooding has generally resulted in low % hatches.
Yes they are! They have three more eggs should I separate them or remove one hen and try to confine. Any suggestions would be great

Hello, and welcome to BYC. Are they setting in the same nest? If so jostling for control of the eggs is probably inadvertently causing them to break. In my experience co brooding has generally resulted in low % hatches.
I agree with you. Though if you don't want a big hatch then a broody momma may be the way to go. Though honestly, my broody hens have had a better over all hatch rate then our Bator's for some reason this year
I have two broody Easter Eggers. They had 6 eggs. Broke 4 in the first few days. The 5th. They crushed as it was starting to hatch the last one Is late to hatch, but the shell is broken - looks like from the out side membrane not broken. Chicken does not seem to be moving. Why are they breaking the shells?
Could be fighting over the eggs like she said. Which is why I usually only let one at a time brood eggs.

7AA9E54A-5889-4CAA-A372-5729F9FA419A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom