1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Member with mite issues

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by EggPopper, Dec 24, 2015.

1. EggPopper

EggPopper New Egg

Dec 23, 2015
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Hi! I am from Canada. Hoping to learn lots of new info. from this site. I have layers, turkeys, ducks, guineas and broilers.
    Looking for info on dealing with a mite problem with my layers. What is the best thing to use? Anything without a withdrawal period for the eggs? Any help would be much appreciated!!

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great to have you join us. I live in Kenya so treatments here are unlikely to be available in Canada so I'll leave any advice to others.

Ct

Sorry, I have should have added that you can search for other BYC members near you - they may be better suited to advise you.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  3. EggPopper

EggPopper New Egg

Dec 23, 2015
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Thanks! Just a little confusing learning how to navigate this site!

4. UlmerChickens

UlmerChickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2015
    Welcome to BYC,
    You've come to the right place.
    If you have any specific questions be sure to ask because that is what BYC is all about.
    I am not an expert in that area but be sure to check out the learning center they may have an answer to your question.
    Good Luck!
    And...[​IMG].

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC & Merry Christmas! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you have joined us.

But sorry about your mite issue. You should explore the learning center : https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/maintaining-a-healthy-flock

There's a couple of articles on mites there. But I don't think they mention egg withdrawal times.

You should consider posting the question under emergencies : https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

And hopefully someone with experience can give you the best advice.

I once had that info from our County Agent, but cannot locate it, so sorry.

Good luck with the dilemma.

7. EggPopper

EggPopper New Egg

Dec 23, 2015
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Thanks. I did post it there. Being new I am just trying to figure this site out. There is a lot of stuff here!

8. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    It can be overwhelming - I'm still finding new things here nearly daily...[​IMG]

9. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    @casportpony

Can you answer this question on treatment of mites and effect on egg consumption?

10. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    @EggPopper

Two of my best friends were from Saskatchewan, Canada. I really miss them dearly.

Above post to see if one of our better chicken health informed folks can offer specifics and advice.

I found the County Agent's emails I mentioned, but there was never an answer on mites except they were difficult to eradicate.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by