granny1950

In the Brooder
May 15, 2016
Hello everyone!!
frow.gif

Just introducing myself. I had a small flock of hens back in the 70's for a few years but nothing since, until I took over my sister's in May of this year. I inherited 28 hens and a rooster. I'm not even sure what breeds they are, a variety of about 8 different girls....lol
I joined this site after googling many questions I had after taking over the girls and guy. BYC always seemed to be the first choice to look at, so I figured it must be a pretty good site!!

I live in Ohio, so hopefully my first winter with the new girls will be relatively quiet. Luckily, I had a serviceable coop from my last poultry keeping that I had been using for storage. I just needed to do some minor refurbishing and put up fencing for a run again.

My girls are in their second year of laying, not sure if I will be keeping all of them after next year or not.....will have to figure that out later. I am feeding them organic pellets, and they free range for 3 or 4 hours a day. I wanted to keep my own chickens for that reason. There are a few people in the area that sell organic eggs, but I figured, why not just do it myself. Wasn't planning on doing it on this big of a scale starting off, though...lol

I'm sure you will be seeing a lot of me on here....I have so far been just reading relatable threads, but sometimes my questions don't seem to fit into a certain category.

Have a great day everyone!!
thumbsup.gif

Welcome to BYC! Have fun! If you post pictures of your new ladies, some of us may be able to help you find out what they are. I love feeding my chickens Organic! It is the way to go!

Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. If you have a question that may not fit into the forums - just choose one and post. Other members will either point you to the most appropriate forum, or will answer your question.

Best wishes

CT

Back
Top Bottom