cherinswin

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2016
South West Vermont
Hi all! Im very excited to learn as much as I can about chicken to raise happy healthy birds. I have so many questions and am vert

excited to have you all as a great resource! Greetings from Vermont!!!

Greetings from Kansas, cherinswin, and :welcome. Happy you joined our flock. You sound super excited about your chickens! Here are couple links you might like. The Learning Center is an awesome collection of information for the beginning chicken keeper. Here's the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
And in this forum you can find the Vermont thread and chat with some local poultry folks. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
Have fun, enjoy the journey and don't be afraid to ask questions. :)

Hi Redsox,
Thanks for the reply! I feel like I'm going to spend so much time here and am very excited I found you all. Thanks for the quick links I appreciate it
yesss.gif

Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens. I've found the quickest way to locate something is to just put it in the search box. If you'd like to post on your state thread - just put the name in and it will come up. I am a "no tech" person so the search feature has been a good of friend of mine.

Thanks Batman. And thanks for help with the gender identification. Now I have to see what to do next. My female Australorp goes broody a lot. Is that the right way to say it? I didn't know what she was doing for a while but then figured it out when i missed a egg or two:( I thought i would be great to have her hatch a couple of eggs but was hoping they would be female
D.gif
My coop is modest with 4 nesting boxes and plenty of roosts for all the birds at night but wondering if the mix of 3 roosters will be crazy. They free range every day but the roosters now are moody already. What is your experience if any with this? and what are my options. Im thinking meat birds and have friends to help if i need to do this:(

A rooster can handle 10 hens, less than that and the hens can be overbred. If you have 4 roosters you would need 40 hens. Roosters aren't worth that much trouble. Unless you need fertile eggs to sell or hatch, you don't have to have a rooster at all. Hens will continue to lay just as many eggs, (albeit infertile) and will be much less stressed without a rooster harassing them.

A rooster can handle 10 hens, less than that and the hens can be overbred. If you have 4 roosters you would need 40 hens. Roosters aren't worth that much trouble. Unless you need fertile eggs to sell or hatch, you don't have to have a rooster at all. Hens will continue to lay just as many eggs, (albeit infertile) and will be much less stressed without a rooster harassing them.

Diva is wise. While I like to keep one rooster around, if the ratio of rooster to hen is out of whack the hens are a nervous wreck.

Back
Top Bottom