Sikiemama

Chirping
Jul 1, 2020
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Yes! We are a newbies to chickens, they are only two months old, 4 Silke’s and 2 Mille Fleurs. They are in their coop now, not without issues

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? 6

(3) What breeds do you have?

Silkie (4) and Mille Fleur (2) and 6 laying hens (leghorn cross) in the fall, separate coop 😊

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Their personalities!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

We have several businesses including Spa and vacation rentals, COVID-19 has enlightened us to start homesteading including gardening and chickens.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

There are 5 of us, 3 kids, oldest is 22, 13, and 11. We have a three-year-old pug named Lexi, she’s somewhat indifferent to the new chickens, but very curious. She’s annoyed by the attention they get! While she seems is different, we’re still concerned about how much of a threat she is to the chickens?

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I’ve been researching with backyard chickens for the last several months before we investing in our 6 little bantams, we have 6 more laying hens to come in the fall. I found backyard chickens to be an excellent resource site for information since we are just starting out. We are trying contend with what we believe are 3 Silkie roosters and only 1 hen and we have one male and one female Mille Fleur in our group. We have the option to rehome a couple of the roosters and are having difficulty deciding which, 2 Silkie Roos have really bonded together but had to to be separated from the flock because of fighting amongst the roosters, feather plucking, etc. One our bonded “roosters” has more female characteristics although I believe they are both crowing! We can’t cuddle one without the other freaking out lol. Any advice?

Back
Top Bottom