LinaBirdHouse

In the Brooder
May 11, 2021
SC
I have been around chickens growing up. But all I did was kill and clean them with my grandmother. So now decades later we have some for eggs, not eating. We have 3 Golden Comets and 3 Americanas from the feed and seed store 2 days ago, the birds are 5 weeks old. Small coop 4x6 they said it will hold 10 birds, I don't think so needs to be bigger. We have 3 inside cats and 1 outside dog that likes to hunt. I am hope we can make this work.

I have been around chickens growing up. But all I did was kill and clean them with my grandmother. So now decades later we have some for eggs, not eating. We have 3 Golden Comets and 3 Americanas from the feed and seed store 2 days ago, the birds are 5 weeks old. Small coop 4x6 they said it will hold 10 birds, I don't think so needs to be bigger. We have 3 inside cats and 1 outside dog that likes to hunt. I am hope we can make this work.
Welcome.:welcome
You will need a high or covered run too for the chickens , to scratch and walk around during the day , and to keep them safe.

You are right that a small 4x6 coop is not big enough for 10 hens. How many room you need in a coop depends not only on the chickens (numbers /size/ behaviour) but on the winters too.

In a very mild climate, with at least 8” roosts and 2 nestboxes, this size coop would fit 10 heritage breed bantams , if they have access to outdoor space from dawn till dusk. So they can say it is for 10 chickens. They only need to give more information.

Warning: most of these coops have not enough ventilation. Do start a new thread with pictures for good advise to make a few adjustments to you’re setup.

Back
Top Bottom