soccrmum

Chirping
Jul 12, 2021
Arcadia, CA
Hello, I am new to the world of back yard chickens. I live in California. I now own 6 active and charismatic chickens. They are full of energy. Thank you for allowing me to be part of this group.

I have a question: I have a golden sexlink that has been producing since early June. She was giving us nice good size eggs right before July, but now has gone back to her very small size eggs. What can I do to help her produce better bigger size eggs?

Another question: I have a 5 month old black copper maran. She is very interested in the nesting boxes but has not layed yet. I noticed today that she was actually waiting for one of the other girls to lay her egg and now she is sitting on it. What does this mean? I am new to this.

Any other good advise would be greatly appreciated.

Soccrmum

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

The sexlink may be suffering from the heat, or possibly she has been laying too much and her reserves are low. Just make sure she is eating well, not too many treats and she stays hydrated.

As for the Maran, I doubt she is broody at her age. She is probably just curious. Make sure you have her on layer feed and oyster shells on the side so she can lay a hard shelled egg.

Make yourself at home here and welcome to our community!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

The sexlink may be suffering from the heat, or possibly she has been laying too much and her reserves are low. Just make sure she is eating well, not too many treats and she stays hydrated.

As for the Maran, I doubt she is broody at her age. She is probably just curious. Make sure you have her on layer feed and oyster shells on the side so she can lay a hard shelled egg.

Make yourself at home here and welcome to our community!
Thank you, appreciate any help and support with me girls.

Back
Top Bottom