New Member -

CEKiewel

In the Brooder
May 26, 2019
Hi, I am a new member to this group.
1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
We have had chickens for 4 years now, and have added new chicks each year. Last year we added ducks as well and so have both running in our yard.
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Right now, we have 36 hens, 6 babies (almost 4 months old), 3 roosters, and 6 Pekin ducks and 1 Khaki Cambell duck
(3) What breeds do you have?

We have Black Ostralorp, RIR, EE, Americauna, Cochins (black and blue), Brahma, Buff Orpingtons, Gold Laced Wyandot and the babies are Mystic Marans.
(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

My favorite aspect is that they are very therapeutic, calm and don't care about any deadlines, dates, contracts or anything else that causes stress in my day-to-day life.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Reading, crocheting, knitting, gardening, playing piano.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I am a school psychologist, have 3 children of my own, and 10 step-children. Naturally we have many grandchildren. Throughout the school year, I look forward to coming home each day, and spending time in the back yard, with the ducks and chickens doing chores, talking and sitting with them. They seem to look forward to me coming out each day. I enjoy being able to spend the summer days outside working on projects in the yard. My husband and I have many antique cars (Nash's, Corvairs, Desoto's, and Eagle's), and built a barn in which we have a lift to make working on the cars easier. We are devoted to the Lord first, and family and pets second. We built the chicken coop, which looks like a camp cottage, and remodeled the duck house. We just finished building a board walk from the house to the coop and duck house to combat and navigate over the mud in the yard. We greatly enjoy our yard, family and animals (we have a dog as well.)
(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I found BYC through asking questions online and having this organization come up in the response. I have also had some experience with some of the issues mentioned and thought I could perhaps contribute thoughts or suggestions regarding what has worked for us.

EC3336B2-9BFD-4A79-938F-7FED69A07EF8.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom