Lrosado17

Chirping
Jun 30, 2022
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Ordered my first 10 chicks! They will be here the first week of august.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? 10 baby chicks arriving in august

(3) What breeds do you have?
Barred rock, Easter egger, Oliver egger, and blue star.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I love animals and I’m excited to have fresh eggs. Hopefully enough to give out to my family

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Video games and various outdoor activities

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I have two dogs and a cat.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

Google! I’ve been doing research for a couple months now and decided to join.

“Yep, we need a brooder, and a comfortable coop soon after. And a large run would be nice! We don’t want much do we?” Welcome to BYC :frow
BCDFBAB4-BC91-4CC3-9CA7-9B2A3559275A.jpeg

Hello, welcome to BYC! Do you have a brooder for your chicks?
I’ve been trying to decide if I want to keep them in the garage, outside on our patio, or in a spare bedroom. I’m afraid it’s going to be in the upper 90s- 100 degrees outside ( I’m in north Texas)

What would you suggest using? I’ve seen plastic bins, pins, dog cages, galvanized metal tubs… I just can’t decide. I’m happy to any suggestions!

Hello, welcome to BYC! Do you have a brooder for your chicks?

This is my first time raising chicks ( never had chickens either) and I’m having a hard time deciding where to set up my brooder. August is really hot in north Texas and I’d prefer to keep them in the garage or outside. I considered a spare bedroom but I’m worried about the dust due to one of my dogs having respiratory issues. Glancing the the forecast for the first week of July it’s predicted to be at least 100 degrees 5 days straight.

1. What is too hot for chicks?
  2. If I decide to set them up in the garage / outside do I still need to use a heat source all day or just at night? ( I purchased a Ecoglow chick brooder)
  3. For day old chicks what is the best bedding to use?
  4. Suggestions on brooder type - a pin, plastic bin… ect” - I posted this on a different thread. Any advice is appreciated

Back
Top Bottom