snapstacy

Chirping
Jul 22, 2022
Western Maine
Hello! New member here - my name is Stacy, we live in Western Maine. Our chickens were 2yrs old in April 2022 (1st time ever having chickens, we call them our pandemic birds!) Started w/ 10 of them, day old chicks, 6 RI reds, 4 Golden comets. We have lost 4 in the past 2yrs- 2 to hawks, 2 for unknown reasons. The 6 we now have (4 reds, 2 goldens) are doing great. We let them free range when we are home, approx 7hr day usually, rest of the time they are in the coop or pen area (10x8ft). We have learned a lot, but still have a lot to learn, so thought I'd join BYC. Glad to be here!

Hello! New member here - my name is Stacy, we live in Western Maine. Our chickens were 2yrs old in April 2022 (1st time ever having chickens, we call them our pandemic birds!) Started w/ 10 of them, day old chicks, 6 RI reds, 4 Golden comets. We have lost 4 in the past 2yrs- 2 to hawks, 2 for unknown reasons. The 6 we now have (4 reds, 2 goldens) are doing great. We let them free range when we are home, approx 7hr day usually, rest of the time they are in the coop or pen area (10x8ft). We have learned a lot, but still have a lot to learn, so thought I'd join BYC. Glad to be here!
Welcome to BYC!! There’s so much to learn here! :)

Welcome to BYC!
The two that you lost for unknown reasons....did you happen to notice them acting off before they died?
Thank you! Glad to be here! 1st one died the 1st winter, no sign of anything really but the day she died she wasn't moving around much then didn't go on roost, stayed on the floor of coop. We checked her an hour later & she was gone. No idea. We took a good look at her after too and didn't notice anything.
2nd one just passed about 2wks ago. She was having diarrhea & dirty butt/feathers x 2 days. Day 3 she was just sitting beside a tree alone. She allowed me to pick her up (my chickens don't like being picked up) I wiped her bottom, which was red, missing feathers too, then soaked it in a basin a few mins. Felt in her vent, she was having green diarrhea. I "googled" what it could be. Tried to give her Tums, she had a tiny piece. I gave her food/water, she did eat/drink a little, but didn't roam around outside. She went in the coop that eve. Found her dead on the floor of coop the next am. Watched the other chicks, they've been fine since. ? thought maybe she ate something she shouldn't have.
These chickens are tricky. I thought we were going to lose one about 4 mos ago, she blew up like a balloon, I think an egg broke inside her - I helped her out best I could & she's been fine ever since.

Thank you! Glad to be here! 1st one died the 1st winter, no sign of anything really but the day she died she wasn't moving around much then didn't go on roost, stayed on the floor of coop. We checked her an hour later & she was gone. No idea. We took a good look at her after too and didn't notice anything.
2nd one just passed about 2wks ago. She was having diarrhea & dirty butt/feathers x 2 days. Day 3 she was just sitting beside a tree alone. She allowed me to pick her up (my chickens don't like being picked up) I wiped her bottom, which was red, missing feathers too, then soaked it in a basin a few mins. Felt in her vent, she was having green diarrhea. I "googled" what it could be. Tried to give her Tums, she had a tiny piece. I gave her food/water, she did eat/drink a little, but didn't roam around outside. She went in the coop that eve. Found her dead on the floor of coop the next am. Watched the other chicks, they've been fine since. ? thought maybe she ate something she shouldn't have.
These chickens are tricky. I thought we were going to lose one about 4 mos ago, she blew up like a balloon, I think an egg broke inside her - I helped her out best I could & she's been fine ever since.
What do you feed them?

Back
Top Bottom