1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Farmer Karla, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Farmer Karla

Farmer Karla New Egg

Jun 1, 2011
    hello from Vancouver island !
    I am so happy to have found this fabulous forum
    I am searching for some information on healing my daughter's chicken, an eagle attacked her. Poked some holes and tore off some of her skin, you can see the meat. Sorry to be graphic, its just shocking and I think we should cull her. But daughter and daddy want to save her...help !
    They sprayed disenfectant on and she is resting quietly
    I look fwd to your replies
    Karla

2. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

3. mlward

mlward Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    Tuscarora, NY
    Hi Karla [​IMG] and welcome from NY! Without pics to see the extent of the injuries it would be hard to say. I would say keep her warm and away from the others that might pick at the open spots. And then see how she looks after a while. I mean, is she able to walk and move around? Breathing normally? Keeping my fingers crossed for her! [​IMG]

4. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    Hi from NC. I hope your chickie heals fast. [​IMG]

5. KansasBoy

KansasBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Topeka
  6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. Flush the wounds with a 50/50 betadine and water mixture. Then put neosporin (without pain reliever) on the wounds, pack the punctures with it as well. Do not put any gauze or bandages on her. Continue with the neosporin ointment treatment til she heals. Provide her with scrambled egg mixed with buttermilk to eat for several days. Scrambled egg provides extra protein for strength, buttermilk is a probiotic that will enhance her immune system.

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

8. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Hi [​IMG] --- I would take the advice of Dawg53 he helps alot of us here at BYC..... hope chicken feels better soon.. [​IMG]

9. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    [​IMG] from Texas [​IMG]

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good advice given. If you can get pics, that would help but I would post it in the Emergencies section. More folks will see it there. Good luck with her. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by