miguelandemily

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
Lake Tapps, Wa
Hello, we are new members to this community and also new chicken owners. I have some questions if someone could please help us. I have one bantam and what I think are two smaller reds all three laying, and we recently just added two big reds. I was told that they are roughly 7 months old so my question is at what age do the roosters grow their tail feathers? Another question is what is that thing on there back towards their rear?

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Louisiana

I think usually by 5 - 6 months old they have the rooster tail feathers, at least all the ones I've rasied have. And I'm not sure what your talking about when you say "that thing on there back towards their rear"

Sorry, I don't know how to describe what I am talking about. It is the size of a pimple and all the hens have it. They clean it from time to time as well. It is just above where their larger tail feathers start. I hope this is enough information. Thank you again.
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

I think that "Thing" is an oil gland. All birds have it. They use the oil when they preen their feathers and keep them relatively water proof.

Hope that helps
Caroline

Back
Top Bottom