Jotaylor

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 8, 2013
Hi! I am Jo, and we live in Georgia just north of Atlanta. We have a flock of 7 hens. To go with those hens, we have 2 little girls, 2 dogs and 1 cat :) Check out our new coop we just built for our hens, it was a great improvement from our first design. We are just in love with our chickens! Its crazy, we started out with 1 white chicken that was given to us and she was just so cool we went and bought 2 more. Then just this week we got 4 more and its funny how they have just stolen our heart I thought I wouldn't like them, the smell the cleaning but its just not what you think its going to be. Our 4 new birds are laying fertilized eggs, so I am having fun and trying to incubate some just to see what happens. I doubt they will hatch but why not try. Please take a look at our birds and help us with the breeds. I will be adding more pictures as they get used to us and let me get closer.

Welcome to BYC! Nice coop.

Do you have predators in your area (raccoons, dogs, foxes, whatever?) If so, you'll need to use hardware cloth (welded wire), not chicken wire. The chicken wire just keeps the chooks in, it won't keep the bad guys out.

Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC. That is a really neat coop you have built :) Have fun with your chickens

Welcome to BYC. That is a nice coop - good advice about the hardware cloth. Good luck with the incubation.

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
. That looks like a real nice coop. Good job! The one in the first pic in the door looks like it might be a Delaware to me. But I am new to this as well so I could very well be wrong.
wink.png

Greetings from Kansas, Jotaylor, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard! That is a beautiful coop and a beautiful daughter! I'm not convinced that white chicken pictured with the other two is a Delaware - they usually have some black in the tail and in the neck area - could be but I don't think it is. The pic with the other white chicken - I think it is a Delaware. (Hope they weren't the same chicken)! The one behind the white one looks like a red sex-link (sometimes called a Red Star or a Cinnamon Queen). The one to the left looks like an Easter Egger - may lay an off-white, blue or green egg. So happy you are enjoying your birds!

Redsoxs, they aren't the same the chicken. Based on what you both said one is a Delaware and I think the solid white is an amber star or a white hybrid star?? One is an easter egger but in the month we have had her she hasn't laid 1 egg, and judging by her feet she isn't young. How will we know if she is done laying or if something is wrong, she doesn't seem to be molting either. She is so sweet too! Gargoyle, we do have to worry about coyotes, but we have 2 dogs, and smaller predators our awesome hunter cat will get (she really is amazing!) as for the chicken wire, we just have that under the roost bars so that we can have a poop collection area that the chickens won't get in. He put a door on it that will keep anything out. It just isn't pictured. Thank you all, my hubby is a very talented carpenter so this was a fun project for him and we think it has turned out beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom