Thank all of you for the friendly welcome. Will take all advice given to heart and make a decision. As for my girls, the like roosting in the trees. That is except when the weather is below 40 degrees, then it is off the the green house. They all follow me as long as I wave a bag of goodies. That is except Wilma, today I had to get the net. FYI my girls name are as follows: Maurine O'Hara, Raquel Welch, Wilma Flintstone, Elizabeth Taylor, Joan of Arc and Vivian Leigh. Vivian passed away Good Friday due to bronchitis. She use to stretch out her little legs and want the feed to be within reach. Joan had a white cross on her forehead and was basically featherless. She was the rut of the litter and I figured she had best have a Saintly name. Wilma had a "W" on her head. Raquel was the reddest one. Elizabeth had a white forelock. And then there is Maurine. She out weighs the other girls by at least 2 - 3 lbs. She has to be the first at the feed. When she runs, she looks like a one of those cut out figures you see on the lawn of the " grandma in bloomers bent over in the flower garden". I also can her 'thunder thighs, greedy Grutrude and Piglet'. Liz is like a puppy dog who will come into the house when I open the back door. If she comes in ( which I like to see if she will actually do it) the others will come in but will wipe their feet on the run. It is really funny to see the girls slip and slide on the hard wood floors. Well those are my girls.

welcome-byc.gif
I agree with chicken canoe to take them off layer feel when they stop laying during the short days. I don't think anyone has mentioned the purpose for that before.

It sounds like your chickens have a great chicken momma(you) to bring out the best in their chickeness. Maybe you would do a story with photos for the "pictures and stories about chickens," thread on BYC.

Well here at the "Chicken Ranch" the girls are nice and toasty. The weather has been raw for Texas. My girls went into the greenhouse a week ago and have no plans on getting out any time soon. Went to check on them, they felt the cold wet wind and ran back in. I have a small heater and it is cute to see chickens warming themselves in front of it. Well for them I think they like the cold bettet. This past summer it got to 108 in the shade with the humidity factored in it was around 112-115. They were not a happy group. I knew they were cold when the were imitating flamingos. They were standing in 40 mph winds with temp in the 50's and they had one leg tucked up under them. I knew it was time to go into the greenhouse. Three of the girls went right in, but two of them well it was a struggle. Had to get the net. When I finally got them in they found it nice and warm. They were one of the first to warm themselvez in front of the heater. Well that is all from here at the "Chicken Ranch". Y'all stay warm and have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!

Back
Top Bottom