Welcome Sue and I totally agree! I thank God every day for all the blessings in my life! I have a flock of 17 chickens including two roos, plus4 little chicks and 2 call ducks (who aren't anywhere as noisy as we feared) the whole family loves them particularly our little daughter who enjoys cuddling our big roo
Lovejoy a hand reared brahma with the sweetest nature you could hope for and a fondness for garlic bread! We have a lot of different breeds and a few mutts so they are a colourful bunch as are their eggs!
Sounds like you have been keeping chickens for a while now, do you do any hatching?

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community! X2 on the roosters. 1 roo to 8 to 10 hens is the best ratio to keep the hens safe from harm.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

I have three different coops. I allow all of the chickens out of their coops each day for about two to three hours. I am only working part time these days, and on the days I am not working, they are all out of their coops all day. I haven't at this time had any problems with over breeding and damages. I have a bantam coop that has 5 frizzle hens, 1 spanish rose cone bantam hen, & 1 frizzle bantam rooter.
My oldest rooster, a buff cochin, has fathered two offspring, with a buff orpington hen, a rooster and a hen. Once the rooster offspring became an adult, I removed him from his fathers coop. He has his own hens in another coop. I have recently lost three of my oldest hens, three buff orpingtons, and 1 black cochin.
I have a variety of hens. I have one of my original buff orpingtons still living, she is 4 1/2 years old, 1 sicilian butter cup, 1 silver laced wyandotte, 1 white rock, 1 Americana, 1 black australop, 1 buff orpington-buff cochin mixed, and 1 game hen.
I need to acquire a few more hens so the ratio of roosters to hens will be better.

I haven't allowed any this year. Last year I did, but my summer has been busier than usual with family sickness and I had an attack from raccoons that tore into one of my coops and I lost some hens. I live in the city of Shelby, but there is wild life all around, since I have deer come into my yard daily and eat from my bird feeders. I have allowed my self to get so attached to these chickens, they are so sweet and responsive to me. I have just hated losing any of them. I know that is the nature of all things. I am looking to get a few more hens.

Hi everyone. Since every chicken question I ever have seems to lead me here I figured I better just join in. I have been loosing chickens one after another it seems since spring and in the last 3 weeks I've lost 3 with one hanging on. Today it was 2, 4 week old pullets that were lost. Last week a Sussex pullet. Starts out with a limp and sour crop and eventually death. I hope someone can shed light on this. Blue comb maybe??

Hi everyone. Since every chicken question I ever have seems to lead me here I figured I better just join in. I have been loosing chickens one after another it seems since spring and in the last 3 weeks I've lost 3 with one hanging on. Today it was 2, 4 week old pullets that were lost. Last week a Sussex pullet. Starts out with a limp and sour crop and eventually death. I hope someone can shed light on this. Blue comb maybe??

Welcome to BYC. Since this is a new members thread started by someone else, you are unlikely to get the answers you are looking for on this particular thread. I would suggest posting your question on our Emergencies, Diseases, Injuries, and Cures section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures where our experts there can help you. Describe in detail the symptoms of your ailing birds and feel free to ask them any questions you may have. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom