New Members

Welcome to BYC, Candy and Bill. Glad you decided to join our flock. You have some egg laying machines. The only brown egg layer you can get that will match your Red Sex Links are Black Sex Links (mine actually layed slightly better than my RSLs in really cold, winter weather). As far as standard brown egg layers, drumstick diva and TwoCrows have recommended the only standard breed that can come close to the sex links (which are hybrids). Black Australorps are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of ours), and they are the best layers of the standard brown egg laying breeds. A Black Australorp holds the brown egg laying record with 364 eggs in 365 days, and while none of mine have ever reached that kind of production (and likely never will), I have still had a few of them lay over 300 eggs in a year.Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Thank you. It seems that everyone likes the Black Australorps. Does anyone have juveniles for sale in the Eaton Ohio area ? We have seen them in catalogs but they always have a minimum of 15 birds. We are only looking to increase our flock by 4 to 6 birds at a time.

Thank you. It seems that everyone likes the Black Australorps. Does anyone have juveniles for sale in the Eaton Ohio area ? We have seen them in catalogs but they always have a minimum of 15 birds. We are only looking to increase our flock by 4 to 6 birds at a time.

If you can't find them in your area, another option is to order BA pullets from a hatchery. I've always ordered 25 pullets, even when I didn't need that many birds. With the order form showing that it was a pullet order, I've always been able to sell off the extra chicks with no problem and recoup my money. And even if you want a rooster, I always get one or two roosters in a pullet order anyway (most hatcheries only guarantee 90% sexing on pullet orders). However you end up going, good luck in getting your Australorps.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

We are new and do not know much ! Where is the best place to view and or post pictures of your flock. I have looked thru the Gallery but is there a way to sort by username ?
I would like, if I am conversing with someone, to see all the pictures they have posted of their birds.

Back
Top Bottom