New mom needs help with chicken run

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mandi0025, Apr 23, 2017.

1. mandi0025

mandi0025 New Egg

Apr 23, 2017
    We live in Buffalo, NY .... rain, sleet, snow, sub freezing temps, high humidity, hot sun ...we get it all. Sometimes in one week!!! Trying to figure out what to put down on the floor of our run. Hay is a no.... too much rain & moisture. So sand, wood chips, river rock, pea gravel? What is the easiest to clean and good for my girls?

2. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Welcome to BYC!
    As for your question, how many chickens do you have and what size is the run?
    In the meantime be sure to check out the Learning Center, and also forums covering many questions you may have.
    Good luck!

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under mandi0025 [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry that I am not able to answer your question; I have a covered run and use the deep litter method.

As Ken suggested, the folks on your State thread might be able to assist as they are familiar with the climate etc.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Some folks use sand over a base of pea gravel, good drainage

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by