New Momma Behavior

I was just going to ask if it’d be interfering to help them in the coop in the evening when everyone goes in to roost. My flock is still coming in around 5-6 to roost…not completely dark; they tend to go in around dusk.
I have learned from past experience, that if it is not dark. You can be searching for chicks in the dark and getting pecked more than necessary. It is just a calmer experience for all, to wait until it is dark. Even if the other chickens are already on the roost.

I have learned from past experience, that if it is not dark. You can be searching for chicks in the dark and getting pecked more than necessary. It is just a calmer experience for all, to wait until it is dark. Even if the other chickens are already on the roost.
And once put with momma, the chicks will stay with her all night and not roam the coop?

Not in the dark. They will just sleep under her or may crawl out and sleep on top of her.
But this has been my experience with a healthy bird. I am hoping she is up and moving she has to follow the chicks, and the chicks should follow her.

I just put fresh bedding in my coop, and let her decide (and NEVER have they thought that the spot I thought would be good for a nest would be a nest) I quite trying to make it nice for them.

What kind of coop do you have? My chicken door is close to the ground, and I have never had a problem, but some people have elevated coops, and the ramp can be a trick.

Mrs K

We renovated an old shed. It has a cement floor, the door from the coop to the run is automatic and has a little ledge. It’s up off the floor maybe 6 inches at most with a ramp then out and to the run floor. Unsure if any of the other hens would bother hopping off roosting bars and bothering her and the babies.

Not in the dark. They will just sleep under her or may crawl out and sleep on top of her.
But this has been my experience with a healthy bird. I am hoping she is up and moving she has to follow the chicks, and the chicks should follow her.

I just put fresh bedding in my coop, and let her decide (and NEVER have they thought that the spot I thought would be good for a nest would be a nest) I quite trying to make it nice for them.

What kind of coop do you have? My chicken door is close to the ground, and I have never had a problem, but some people have elevated coops, and the ramp can be a trick.

Mrs K
I’ve attempted to allow them freedom today. Momma will get up and walk out to the run, babies will prep, then get louder, she goes in coop and tried to tell them to come, they go back and forth this way a few times and then she gives up and comes back to the coop and sits on them. Her fleet and prolapse are healing, she has gotten up a lot more today to eat and drink and relieve herself, so far though babies don’t want to come out of the coop.

I was just going to ask if it’d be interfering to help them in the coop in the evening when everyone goes in to roost. My flock is still coming in around 5-6 to roost…not completely dark; they tend to go in around dusk.
If mum isn't the full ticket and takes them home to sleep and the chicks for whatever reason don't join her (at this age) then yes, help them in.
Watch out! Mums can get very stroppy if you touch her chicks, especially if she is in the coop calling them in and you try to help the chicks. Some mums barrel out of the coop in full battle order and I've been caught with a chick in one hand and a very pissy mum trying to attack me. Broody mums in full battle order make a rooster attack look like a chicken kiss.:D

If mum isn't the full ticket and takes them home to sleep and the chicks for whatever reason don't join her (at this age) then yes, help them in.
Watch out! Mums can get very stroppy if you touch her chicks, especially if she is in the coop calling them in and you try to help the chicks. Some mums barrel out of the coop in full battle order and I've been caught with a chick in one hand and a very pissy mum trying to attack me. Broody mums in full battle order make a rooster attack look like a chicken kiss.:D
Luckily she is my lap chicken and let’s me stroke her cheek, snuggle her and babies-

Back
Top Bottom