New Muscovy Duck Mom

scrossley

Chirping
Jul 5, 2020
Hello everyone, I found BackYard Chickens when I was searching for information on how to raise newly hatched Muscovy ducklings. I live in a residential neighborhood, on a very small lake, in Plantation, FL. I've never owned chickens or ducks but suddenly found myself with a nest full of hatching eggs - we believe the nest was attacked by a raccoon, who either killed the mama duck or drove her away as we never saw her again. A few eggs were broken open, a couple of ducklings were dead and one we thought was dead was still alive - luckily he moved his little beak and caught our attention. Later that same day, the rest of 8 eggs started to hatch, and 2 days later we had 9 ducklings! Thank goodness for information found on the internet as it has now been 6 weeks and all 9 babies are doing well. I'm sure we haven't done everything as their natural mother would have done, but they appear healthy and have grown tremendously fast. We released them to free-range in our back yard a week ago, but we bring them in every night at sundown, into a large caged pen that we have on our enclosed patio. I've read that they are vulnerable until their wings are fully grown and they can fly, so one of my questions is: Will they still need to be housed/penned up every night after they are full-grown? We have several adult Muscovy ducks in the community who obviously are not caged at night, but being as we raised these 9 ducklings, we're not sure if they are too 'domesticated' now or will they learn how to fend for themselves? Any suggestions or tips are most welcome. We love all animals and wildlife and will do what we can to keep them safe! Thank you, everyone!

Back
Top Bottom