New OK Chicken Farmer

Chckncandles

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2022
Hello! My name is Kathleen and I live in Oklahoma.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? We received our first 3 chicks on Easter 2022 from my brother. Then about 3 weeks later we received 3 more chicks from a schoolteacher.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? We have 6.

(3) What breeds do you have? The first flock has two Easter Eggers and a Speckled Sussex. The 3 given to us by a teacher were class projects and she had no idea. One was hatched and it turned out to be a bantam rooster. The other two she bought and they are bantams of some sort.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? It’s been a great experience for my young children and since the rooster, Little Row Row, crows at 6, I get my exercise in and my day starts early. It’s a joy to watch them interact with each other too.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I make beeswax candles and love to blog.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share: We have 4 children with one on the way. We have an old dog who avoids the chickens as much as possible. I was a librarian, but now I’m a stay-at-home mom and am working on my candle business.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D BYC was recommended by my many seasoned chicken farmers. I need help determining my 3 younger ones’ breeds and guidance on raising our chickens and to learn more about chickens.
2D5D2ADD-2ED1-4AE8-A1DC-569BF1D50DAE.jpeg

Attachments

• 6F79FCB9-8623-4C5C-9F60-A67F850481ED.jpeg
    6F79FCB9-8623-4C5C-9F60-A67F850481ED.jpeg
    1,004.9 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom