New on here

kelsi8281

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 16, 2014
I'll be posting a new thread,
I need some help with one of my new chicks born with the yolk not absorbed yet!
If you can help please let me know!
Thanks!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I'm no incubation expert, but I do have some experience with un-absorbed yolks. I would keep the chick in the incubator until it dries off. Hopefully, by that point, some more of the yolk will be absorbed. Then, I would either keep the chick in the incubator or put it in its own separate brooder, away from other chicks. In most cases, the yolk absorbs completely in 24-48 hours.

Good luck!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I'm no incubation expert, but I do have some experience with un-absorbed yolks. I would keep the chick in the incubator until it dries off. Hopefully, by that point, some more of the yolk will be absorbed. Then, I would either keep the chick in the incubator or put it in its own separate brooder, away from other chicks. In most cases, the yolk absorbs completely in 24-48 hours.

Good luck!
Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

X2 here. Let the chick stay in the incubator for a bit longer period of time. If you do take the chick out, keep her under higher heat in the brooder than the other chicks (about 100 degrees) and keep the chick separated from the others so nobody picks at her yolk sac.

Good luck and congrats on the hatch!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your chick, hope it is OK. You might try putting the chick in a small jar or plastic tub to let it continue absorbing the yolk sack without being disturbed if it is moving around or other chicks are bothering it, not sure if you have seen it, but the Hatching Eggs 101 article talks about open navels and unabsorbed yolk sacks etc and some things to try, about 3/4 way down the page. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101 this article talks about problems with yolk sacks https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mushy-chick-disease-yolk-sack-infection-omphalitis Good luck with the chick.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm keeping him in the incubator wrapped in a damp paper towel in hopes that he will absorb the rest of the sac. When I checked on him this morning the sac seems to be smaller but it now looks like his intestines are coming out. I'm not sure how to fix that

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Back
Top Bottom