1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New one on me! First time I've ever seen this behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Sep 12, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I was just out locking up my chickens for the night and saw something I've never seen them do before.

I have a polish cockerel named Ozzy that at 5 months old is just now realizing that he is THE MAN. Yesterday I saw him finally get up the nerve to attempt to mate a hen. He mated my smallest hen, a silkie named Ellie Mae.

This evening, like yesterday, Ozzy and Ellie were the last two still mingling around outside the coop. Sure enough, Ozzy attempted to mate Ellie again. She fussed a bit but submitted. No biggie. All of a sudden one of my speckled sussex "Dixie" came running out of the coop. I assumed she was going to jump on Ozzy for attempting to mate, as all my older hens have been doing (is it any wonder the poor guy is paranoid?). However, instead of jumping on Ozzy Dixie attacked Ellie Mae. They got into a knock down, drag out cat fight. Ellie was holding her own, but I grabbed her up anyways. She's only half the size of Dixie and I didn't want her to get hurt.

I have seen hens fight a rooster, I have seen roosters fight each other, I have seen hens fight each other over some slight, but I have never seen two hens go at it over a rooster.

Theories?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Probably thought of her as a threat - A male is not quite doing it right, and thus it looks more like he's trying to protect the flock, and so ya gotta help him, right?

That or they think she's too low to deserve having chicks?

3. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    I have seen this once and only once...
    My tiny buff silkie was attacking my BSL. My BSL is lead hen and I guess the tiny silkie just didn't like that.
    It was getting to be so bad I had to separate them and eventually rehome my silkie. (She was the more ferocious one)
    Same thing as you though...I thought they were fighting over the rooster.
    If the rooster was anywhere near Lenore (BSL) Goldie (silkie) would go at her, grab her comb and flip over. She ripped a piece off...it was pretty nasty. If Lenore lifted her head to avoid it, Goldie grabbed her waddles.
    I hope the behavior doesn't continue or get worse.
    Hopefully for you it was a one time thing!
    I really don't know why they do this...silly girls...
    Getting their bloomers in a twist.
    [​IMG]

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Oh come on now, Gritty.
    Haven't you ever seem Jerry Springer?
    Sounds all normal to me

Imp- [​IMG]

5. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:It's that green eyed monster. No, not Imp - jealousy. [​IMG]

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Well now, they are backwoods Arkansas chickens. Say Imp, I think you're onto something. [​IMG]

Most of em seem to be missing their teeth too. [​IMG]

9. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yelp! Don't ya just love those ''Springer'' moments [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Why I am visioning Tammy Wynette singing "Stand by your man" ?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by