New one to me! HELP!

Well just a little update. The little one was a bit fussy today so I went in to check on him and noticed the dried up umbilical had fallen off.....
While I had him in my hand I noticed a yellow ozzing thick stuff coming out of where the sack was.....his abdomen was solid. I gave it a little help and this
is what came out of him....from what I'm reading this is deadly......What do you all think???? Is there is anything I can do to increase the chances of him surviving?

yuk.jpg

Antibiotics are in the water, and I have iodine I can keep the area clean and treat it........

Last edited:
I'm so sorry I cannot help you with your little guy. I do not know enough to help, but all the best to you and yours!

hugs.gif

Quote:
Dang it Deb! How's he doing?? I know NOTHING about this at all but I'm
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
for him and you!!

I can SO relate about the PO and eggs
rant.gif
somad.gif
Out of 29 eggs I *might* get TWO chicks!!

thanks fl_deb and Bonnie. He's still alive this morning, fluttering around, chirping and acting like
a chick......It'll be a miracle if he makes it...but seems to be acting fine this morning!

So glad that he is doing better. I agree about the mail service too. I did'nt get a single chick out of an order of eggs last month. Money down the drain. I know it wasn't the bator because all the other eggs hatched from my flock. Oh well, I have two more mail order batches in now.
fl.gif

Hope your little fellow makes it.

Keep the iodine (or bluekote) on the umbilicus and antibiotics in the water. If you can get a vet's prescription, Baytril would be best. That looks to me like an infected umbilicus, NOT unabsorbed yolk.

Sonogram,

Thank you so much! He/she is actually still alive. I have been keeping the wound open so that it'll drain and it did drain some more goo...a little less each time..... I soaked the sore a little this morning to open
it up again but nothing came out and there was nothing but a red dot where it looked like it had been healing over. I just put iodine on that and left it alone.

I had a chick hatch out yesterday with this same thing. Looks exactly like your pictures. I'm sure it too is an unabsorbed yolk. It is chirping, moving around and very alert. I have this baby seperated from the rest to keep them from harming the yolk. I'm glad that yours came thru fine, and I hope mine does too.
Jan

Back
Top Bottom