New Owner - Possible Issue with 5-6 Week Old Barred Rock Pullet

The second BR chick started acting lethargic this afternoon. Separated and put open water and food. She's drinking so we'll see. With Cocci, doesn't it usually create blood in the poop before it kills them?

What I've read says "sometimes." I've been reading through The Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow (https://www.amazon.com/Chicken-Health-Handbook-2nd-Maximizing-ebook/dp/B00Z8CZODS).

Otherwise I wouldn't dare provide any feedback.

To quote:

Quote:
What I haven't heard of is any significant harm from applying a coccidiostat. And as I read more closely, what you actually would want at this stage is a coccidiocide. Often the same drug, just different dosage. Two most common trade names I believe are Amprol and Corid.

The second BR chick started acting lethargic this afternoon. Separated and put open water and food. She's drinking so we'll see. With Cocci, doesn't it usually create blood in the poop before it kills them?
Usually but not always.
About the only way you'll know what killed it is to have a histological necropsy done.
Some states will do them for free, contact your State Ag Dept.
Definitely contact the hatchery and ask if they had any problems with that hatch batch...and ask for a refund.

Thanks for the advice. I found corid at my tractor supply. I have picked up the poop a couple of times a day. All solid with the exception of one. I removed the other BR and put her in her own pen with open water and food. I have not seen her eat yet, but she is drinking. She was very lethargic a few hours ago, and chirps were weak. Also, I could reach in and pick her up and she would not run or chirp. I just went out and moved my hand toward her. She moved away quickly and chirped a little louder. She pooped in there once and it was runny. Not a chick poop expert so I included a picture in case someone can chime in on if it looks normal or not. Her crop is bulging, but not hard.

Last edited:
I'm not experienced enough to judge. I'd say to follow to directions to apply corid as a coccidiocide. No time to waste.

I'm *NOT* an expert. You've lost one already, could lose another at any point. So without a real expert chiming in right this minute, my best advice is to act quickly.

Well, she started drinking decently through the afternoon and starting pecking slightly at her food. She had some watery poop, but the last couple weren't as watery. I bought corid and mixed per directions I found on here. Decided to give it to all of them, since they had all been together in the coop. Just went and checked on her and found bloody poop. So, guess it's more than likely Cocci.

It's really a rather curious situation. If I may ask, what hatchery did the chicks come from and have you contacted them? Cocci is common and all chicks/chicken get exposed to it and eventually end up carrying it, so it's possible they already were carriers and the stress of shipping weakened them enough to make them susceptible to it causing disease, but the fact that it just hit the rocks and not the EEs makes me think there was something going on pre-shipment to you.

Also, just as an FYI, you can actually detect the presence of cocci via a fecal test (ensure the sample you collect/take in has NEVER contacted the ground - bare soil, grass, etc.) that any veterinarian's office can perform.

Any updates on the chicks? Let us know how things go.

Have been nursing her since late yesterday afternoon when I started the Corid. She had blood in her poop yesterday, and once around lunch today, but in between she had a couple of brown poops, but still wet. I mixed her food with medicated water. I don't know if she's drinking or eating without me coaxing her. When I coax her, she goes in the food pecking 5-10 times, and she'll repeat several times. She stops, and I'll go back 1-2 hours later and she'll eat again. Does the same with her water. So, she is drinking and eating a little, but still lethargic.

Back
Top Bottom