new owner silkie chick HELP PLEASE

jnewsom

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 21, 2014
I have 5 chicks a Easter egger 2 barred Plymouth rock , red sexlink and a silkie chick. I woke up this morning to Fifi our silkie chirping her head off! We figured she was cold so we brought the temp up just a bit she has food and water but I haven't seen her eat or drink today. The other four are as happy as could be but little Fifi will quite for about an hour then start yelling again. Shes in the warmest part of the brooder for the most part. She also has her eyes closed the majority of the time. Should I be worried? What can I do for her?

I am a completely new to this but I too struggled with silkies last year. First you didn't mention how old your chick was. I believe it is in stress that is why its screaming and not happy. That doesn't mean it wont live I have one right now like yours, spent the first two weeks chirping his head off and trying to scoot under all the other ones.(brooder was plenty warm) That one is still alive but it is smaller then the rest..not developing its fancy feathers as much as the others either. She is just behind. It is about 3 weeks old now so maybe Mom knew something was wrong. Last year I lost some silkies I was new and learning. This year I am hatching my own. This year I don't wait around to do things that I would have done if I see them starting to go down hill. Do you see the chick eating? Drinking? Is it cold?
Do you have a syringe (without needle of course) syringe some Gatorade, that will give him the power to push through. I give it to mine as soon as they are dry in the incubator... takes em a while to figure it out but once they do they love it. and I get to play with them. If you have poultry drench? Try that, the reviews on that product are great. But they don't like the taste of it so I put a drop in the Gatorade if I feel it is necessary. I like the Gatorade the best I use it for a week or so... Also chopped up yellow of the egg is great.. I have also been told to use chopped up romaine lettuce but have not done that yet. Silkies at least mine don't really dig the treats as much as bigger birds........

Im not sure how old they are I was never told

quote name="jjaazzy" url="/t/876974/new-owner-silkie-chick-help-please#post_13324381"]I am a completely new to this but I too struggled with silkies last year.  First you didn't mention how old your chick was.  I believe it is in stress that is why its screaming and not happy. That doesn't mean it wont live I have one right now like yours, spent the first two weeks chirping his head off and trying to scoot under all the other ones.(brooder was plenty warm) That one is still alive but it is smaller then the rest..not developing its fancy feathers as much as the others either. She is just behind.  It is about 3 weeks old now so maybe Mom knew something was wrong.   Last year I lost some silkies I was new and learning. This year I am hatching my own.  This year I don't wait around to do things that I would have done if I see them starting to go down hill.  Do you see the chick eating? Drinking? Is it cold? 
Do you have a syringe (without needle of course) syringe some Gatorade, that will give him the power to push through. I give it to mine as soon as they are dry in the incubator... takes em a while to figure it out but once they do they love it. and I get to play with them.  If you have poultry drench? Try that, the reviews on that product are great.  But they don't like the taste of it so I put a drop in the Gatorade if I feel it is necessary.  I like the Gatorade the best I use it for a week or so...   Also chopped up yellow of the egg is great.. I have also been told to use chopped up romaine lettuce but have not done that yet.  Silkies at least mine don't really dig the treats as much as bigger birds........
[/quote]

Shes not yelling anymore and I have brought up the temp she has drink some water but she still seems just super sleeply! Could that be just because she was too cold

Can you post a picture, I have some new batched and some 3 weeks maybe I can tell by looking....Are they all still fuzzy? If so, I would say before 2 weeks.... I would try the gatoraide if you think the chick is looking weak..if you don't have that some people use sugar water...do you see the chick eating. When I had big breeds like rir, Orpingtons and bared rocks I would take the crumble and mix with enough water to make a mash....the big ones will love it. Maybe the silkie would try it. I always used that as a midnight buffet when I was raising them then I knew they were set for the night.

Back
Top Bottom