New owner with questions

Quote:
If you make the feeder I did in the thread, your feed waste will go away.......... 99.9999999% waste-less feeder! https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=271708 And yes, big-headed Georgia Giant Bobs can get their noggin in there with not problem........

Do you just have the PVC wedged into the feeder or a screw to hold it together?

Just follow the instructions........... cut the "jar ring" out, and what's left of the top........just seat the PVC reducer down on top. Keep in mind, it's a tall 4" pipe, and there's a hole cut in the top of the pen just big enough for the pipe to go through and hold it vertical, so the big part of the bottom reducer just rest on the very top of the feeder............(just keep grinding out the top until the PVC slip-fits through the top of the metal feeder) The key to this whole concept is to not let the feed height get high enough for them to rake it out with their beak.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yep, regular ol' PVC pipe cap. You can make the stack as tall or short as you want to. I just havemine running up through the roof of the pen a couple of feet above.

Begin vent..

So I built my quail run last week out of chicken wire and pvc pipe. But then I got a notice in the mail saying the landlord will be repainting our house for a week and we needed to remove everything from the back yard. grumble grumble. Well of course the folks they hired are incompitant ( I used to paint myself, for Disney) and they have barily put the first coat of primer on. Now it's raining... who paints in Fall?!?! In addition they have also primed my lemon sapling, my hedges, parts of my fence and parts of my windows... they also knocked over my worm composter... killing 22$ worth of worms and letting 5 mil fruit flies lay eggs.. I want my backyard back
barnie.gif
!!!

Sorry.. end vent.
duc.gif

So, quail are in the garage for now. They aren't laying, I'm guessing they are not getting enough light; but that's okay, they need to grow back there feathers anyway... they weren't in the best condition when I bought them.

Here's the waterer and feeder I started out with

70442_2010-10-29_144901.jpg

70442_2010-10-29_144818.jpg

Here's the rabbit hutch I bought off of criagslist for $20

70442_2010-10-29_144959.jpg

70442_2010-10-29_144946.jpg

70442_2010-10-29_144930.jpg

This shows the extra feeder and waterer I put in when I left for a weekend

70442_2010-10-29_145725.jpg

70442_2010-10-29_145550.jpg

Ian and I accidentally stole a tray from an in and out a while back, turns out it's perfect for dust bathing

70442_2010-10-29_145751.jpg

This is the new cage I bought off of craigslist tonight, also 20 bucks :)

70442_2010-11-07_204334.jpg

And these are my girls

70442_hen3.jpg

70442_hen2.jpg

70442_hen.jpg

Last edited:
Not My Business Or Worry, But A Lil Advice Is All.... I See Mention Of A Run Made Out Of Chicken Wire And Pvc??? Then My Esp Kicks In And I See Piles Of Feathers And Empty Cages, And A Grieving Former Quail Owner. Do Yourself, And Your Stock A Favor And Build Your Run In The Most Explosion-proof Way Possible, Then Reinforce And Over Wrap It 2 More Times--- For What Its Worth Quail Are Fast Food For Every Would Be Predator On The Planet And Will Attract Predators From The Other Side Of The County. The Best Cure For This Is A Lot Of Prevention. Plastic Be It Pipe Or Wire Has No Tenstile Strength Against A Hungry 1/2 Grown Raccoon.... Think You Dont Have Any? Think Again! Every State In The Us Has Them And They Interface With Urban Sprawl Better Than 1/2 The Humans On The Planet Do... Kitty Cats, Possums, Hawks, Even Owls. And The Hit Parade Gets Longer Too. Chicken Wire The Holes May Be Small Enough To Prevent Yor Birds Escape... In 1 Piece That Is, But Yet They Are Open Enough For A Cat Or Raccoons Paw Or A Hawks Foot To Get Through. I Have Seen Hawks Light On The Ground Next To Or On Top Of A Pen And Just Wait For A Chance To Get A Coturnix... In Fact Your $20 Dollar Rabbit Hutch From Craigs List? Yeah You Better Wrap That Thing With 1/2 Inch Hardware Cloth And Install Real Live Honest To God Latches On That Thing!--- I Have 1 Exactly Like It, They Were Mass Produced And Sold At Tsc, Still Are. Coons Reach Right Thru The Bars And Get Whats Inside, Or Just Open It Up And Take What He Wants...

My Goal Is Not To Offend Anyone, Nor Upset Anyone, Only To Educate You--- Everything I Have Touched On In This Post I Have Lived Thru Myself And Learned The Hard Way. You Can Have That Knowledge For Free, Its Yours For The Taking, Or You Can Pay The Price As Most Of Us Have, With The Health Of Your Livestock, And Learn The Hardway As We Have..... I Hope For You And Your Birds Sake You Take It For Free
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom