New peafowl sick

Bluebellhoney

Chirping
Oct 12, 2020
I bought a pair of peafowl at auction on Sunday, brought them home and quarantined them. It is an area that the chooks have free ranged before, but they aren’t there now.
This morning I noticed one of them was quiet and a little hunched, but I had to go out for the day and these are my first peafowl so I wasn’t sure. Tonight I came home and they looked the same. I lifted them both up onto the perch (they sat on the floor the last two nights but I figured maybe they hadn’t learned to roost where they came from) and the quiet one fell to the ground. She did this twice, so I let her be on the ground. The other stayed on the perch.
Could they have got sick that fast from my place? I can feel the keel bone, she feels underweight to me, also the crop was pretty empty. Have I bought a sick bird? I will take her straight to the vet tomorrow if I can but they are hopeless with the chooks here. Anyone have any ideas?

Here she is this morning, actually looking a bit brighter than last night but still no interest in food
A550EEDA-C7F1-4BFB-BE6A-4AEC1C1B55EE.jpeg
1C06F5E7-3616-412B-888E-0CA070A69555.jpeg

She has been to the vet- they both have. He was actually really good, gave her a vitamin drench as she is definitely underweight compared to her partner. He doesn’t think it’s respiratory, gave her a thorough check over, and has given me a blanket antibiotic, plus treatment for coccidiosis once those are finished. He’s getting some of the meds for blackhead today as there wasn’t any at the surgery. He didn’t think it was that as the poop didn’t have a green tinge, but he admitted he had only seen turkeys with it before and isn’t a poultry vet. He is going to work out a treatment for that too just in case. They are currently in my laundry in the hospital crate having the antibiotics and game bird starter. Fingers crossed she makes it, she does look a bit less hunched today

Back
Top Bottom