New pekin duck meets pair

JRS

Chirping
Jan 30, 2019
Hey everyone. I’m new to pekins, well ducks in general. I have chickens but ducks are a whole different world.
My situation is I was given two pekin ducks from a wildlife rescue when they were about 3-4 weeks old. They are now about 3 months old. One of a drake for sure (drake feather) and the other a hen. The wild life rescue brought one new pekin to me (8-9 weeks old by feather color yellow but almost white) she sounds just like my female so I’m 99% sure she’s a she.

When introducing her to the other pekins my male started to chase her bite her neck and won’t let her join the pair. When we separate the male from “his” female the two girls get along fine. I’m trying to figure out if this is normal, what it means and if they will ever be able to house together and get along.
* In the first photo he’s chasing her away. In the second photo she’s trying to follow and be a part of the group.

Attachments

• A3C7584D-6666-49CB-86DA-6C1DB9AC9544.jpeg
    A3C7584D-6666-49CB-86DA-6C1DB9AC9544.jpeg
    585.5 KB · Views: 18
  • E482B607-44E8-42DC-A710-4FC96CC22E84.jpeg
    E482B607-44E8-42DC-A710-4FC96CC22E84.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Oh, doesn't that make you feel so sad for her! I think that she will be OK eventually. Ducks don't usually like anything new and different. Like some old people they think change is a bad horrible thing.

How long have you've had the new pekin?

I have Khaki Campbells, and I recently introduced a female khaki to my male khaki and the rest of the mixed flock. My male khaki was chasing her, biting her neck, and tearing out a small bit of down feather, but none of this caused any real damage. Drakes are just pretty territorial. After about 2 days of this, my male was convinced the new one had learned her place under him and now they get along fine.

I'm no expert on ducks, like at all, but this was just my experience

You'll have to put them both in the same area with something between so the drake can get to know her but can't attack. Around a week or two should do. Then reintroduce them together for playdates.

There will be some picking and jumpscares but should be fine - if he's still attacking at that point you'll have to see to what degree and you might talk with the person you got them from for some situational help.

Oh, doesn't that make you feel so sad for her! I think that she will be OK eventually. Ducks don't usually like anything new and different. Like some old people they think change is a bad horrible thing.

How long have you've had the new pekin?
Just a few days now. They are only together when it’s supervised. We try not to interfere with them but it’s sad.

I have Khaki Campbells, and I recently introduced a female khaki to my male khaki and the rest of the mixed flock. My male khaki was chasing her, biting her neck, and tearing out a small bit of down feather, but none of this caused any real damage. Drakes are just pretty territorial. After about 2 days of this, my male was convinced the new one had learned her place under him and now they get along fine.

I'm no expert on ducks, like at all, but this was just my experience
That’s what we’re hoping for too. We will see how tonight goes during the supervised visit

You'll have to put them both in the same area with something between so the drake can get to know her but can't attack. Around a week or two should do. Then reintroduce them together for playdates.

There will be some picking and jumpscares but should be fine - if he's still attacking at that point you'll have to see to what degree and you might talk with the person you got them from for some situational help.
Thanks for the comment. Hopefully in time they will be a happy little family.

That’s what we’re hoping for too. We will see how tonight goes during the supervised visit
Be sure to supervise them closely and make sure its just warning bites. Make sure no blood, pulled feathers, or anything else that could seriously harm your lady. If he gets way too rough with her then I'd suggest switching to a see-dont-touch for a short while until trying again

Be sure to supervise them closely and make sure its just warning bites. Make sure no blood, pulled feathers, or anything else that could seriously harm your lady. If he gets way too rough with her then I'd suggest switching to a see-dont-touch for a short while until trying again
That’s why we only let them together supervised. When they aren’t she’s in a chicken tractor right up next to their enclosure so they can get to know each other. He pulls a couple feathers when he nips at ther neck but nothing violent like he’s trying to hurt her. It’s more like hey I’m the boss.

Back
Top Bottom