New Polish/Tophats flock owners

DarliaC

Chirping
Jul 3, 2023
We are mom and dad to 6 Tophats and new to this as of the middle of May when they hatched from the hatchery and we brought them home on day 2.
They are not sexed of course so we are not sure what we have yet. They are now 10 weeks out and so hilarious, fun, entertaining and just plain fun❤️
Looking forward to lots of good help and info on this website

I know
I plan to start it at 18 weeks. But my question is not that .. my question is about feeding it to the flock of 6 without knowing roo or hen
The problem with layer feed is that it has calcium added for layers who need to make eggshells, and the excess calcium is not good for roosters because they don't lay. Many of use all flock feed which doesn't have calcium. Instead, we provide crushed oyster shell in a side dish that hens can eat as needed. Roosters will usually ignore the oyster shell.

All flock needs to be at least 16% protein for layers, and it doesn't hurt to make that percentage higher, up to 21 to 22%.

Hello Darlia, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

I've never fed layer feed to my flock in over 5 years and have always had roosters/cockerels. I just keep them on grower/broiler mash, Flock Raiser or whatever all flock type feed is available that offers 18-20% protein. I have two containers of oyster shell on the side for the active layers.
Hens don't need the extra calcium during the winter after they molt and before they start laying again in the spring either.

Last edited:
Hello Darlia and welcome to BYC! :frow

You have been given great advice above. For a mixed flock I always feed an All Flock type feed that does not have high calcium levels. And offer oyster shell on the side in a small tub kept near the food or water for hens to access when needed.

Enjoy your flock, Tophats are a fun breed!

Back
Top Bottom