new poster with questions!

jane

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 24, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Dear everyone
I am newly registered and newish to poultry. A few months ago I bought 3 gorgeous pekin bantam pullets, kept them in a coop at night and free roaming in our garden by day. Sadly we lost two, I think to foxes; there were just little piles of feathers left. Melbourne, Australia has, I have now been told, a high population of foxes.

I have now aquired three little wyandottes and here are my questions.
1. I was told they were 6-8 weeks. I am keeping them in my son's bedroom at the moment in a cat carrier. The temp is still dropping to about 10 C at night here, but should get warmer in the next couple of weeks. When can I put them out into the coop?

2. My poor remaining pekin is on her own in the coop. I took the Little Girls out to meet her and she was quite aggressive , pecking and chasing them around. Will she come around and accept them as new sisters despite age and breed difference? How can I best manage this?

3. Is there such a creature as a wyandotte bantam or have I been sold full sized chickens? Their feet seem enormous.

I would really appreciate any responses from more experienced chicken owners.

Last edited:
I believe they would be standards.

As far as introducing them, I would put them in a cage/crate and place the crate around her. That way she can get used to them without hurting them and slowly be able to enhoy their company. I am sure she is lonely.

I have a small wire dog crate that I use just for that purpose. Works like a charm, after a couple says I can usually let them free range together with no quarrels.

There are wyandottes in the bantam size...

Welcome to the forum!
lol.png

Hello and welcome to the forum. Dont know much about wyandots in particularor pekins but the behavior is normal in all chickens. We have BO's and they are supposedly docile and friendly. Our two oldest hens persecute the young EE's endlessly when all are freeranging together. Its just a chicken thing. We did put two trouble making EE's in the tractor with the BO's and they were given an attitude adjustment at first but now are accepted knowing their place in the flock. We separated 20 EE's after a month of living together and now when all are ranging at the same time. They act like they have never seen each other before and bristleup and spar. Chickens do not understand human standards of interaction there is no sympathy and everything is purely instinct. Sometimes we missunderstand their behavior as mean or troublesome but it is just the natural way. Sometimes there is bloodshed but it is usually between competing roos. Most times the persecuted will squeal and act like their skin is being removed but they learn to give the boss's a wide berth and everything will be ok in the long term.
The lone hen will welcome the company and even if there is trouble at first during the day. you will find them tight as bugs in a rug on the roost at night.
Just my humble opinion.

Again welcome to the "asylum"

RCG

Gidday fellow Aussie, welcome to the Forum.
This is the best in the world!!! lots of nice members and quick responses too!!
I am 1/2 American now since ive been on here, I now want to go over there one day.
Thanks Texaschickmama for your kind comment!!!
Now, Yes Melbourne has the highest city dwelling foxes in the country, I have some friends who do fox control (vertabrate control) to be exact and they tell me that there are more foxes living in the city there than in the bush!!!they cannot use conventional control methods in town.
Im sorry to hear about your fox strike.

Be careful with the chicks with the poor lone hen, perhaps give her an old mirror to cheer her up until the chicks grow older and more to her size, give them a fighting chance!!
If you have a fully enclosed smaller house in the coop like an old dog house with a door put on it, it may suffice with our overnight temps but if it feels cold enough to wear a jumper, bring them in! Thats how im guaging my ducklings at present.
I cant help with your bantam question, sorry,
But anyway good to see another Aussie here.
Good luck
Helen

Back
Top Bottom