New Pullet Sneezing, Wheezing, Coughing - Has she infected the rest?

Thank you both for your opinions and the information you have learned. In my case, I only have about 14 birds that I keep for my own egg consumption and for pets that my daughter really loves. I have sold a few dozen extra eggs to my horse boarder, but that was prior to having noticed this illness, and since then the weather has been so horrible that egg production has been virtually nothing. I will let her know what I have learned in the meantime and let her decide if she still wants to purchase any.
As for my birds, I don't plan on feeding rounds and rounds of antibiotics, but since I have never treated my birds so far, I think this might be a helpful treatment at this time. My birds are quite cooped up at the moment and somewhat stressed due to the truly horrible weather we have had here the past couple of weeks. I believe in being responsible for general health of all of my animals, including spaying/neutering of my barn cats and they all get gen'l immunizations...yada, yada, yada. In the case of my chickens, they are for personal use and pleasure. I do not sell my birds, nor breed/sell chicks, so that greatly affects my decision to keep my birds. I also believe everyone's case is different and you need to make your own decision based on your own individual circumstances and what you do with your birds.
Thank you all for discussing this, it really helps me a lot to learn all of this. I had chickens about 10 years ago, but after a few years had to disperse them because we had to move out of the country for a while. I had a wholly well flock at that time and never had to treat them for anything and had no noticeable illnesses either. But since we have returned home, my daughter wanted chickens again, so this April, we got her some chick from the local farm store. That's how we got back into chickens. Had I realized that these sorts of viruses were this prevalent, I may have done a few things different, but generally speaking, because of my location, there would have been only a few factors I could have prevented. It's all good though, there's always things to learn about animals, as my 20+ years in horses have taught me.....and it's always changing. I will continue to read these forums and speak with my vet as I'm sure there will be more things to learn. Thanks again and good luck to all those dealing with this issue.
big_smile.png

Oh, and thanks spook, I read that thread yesterday and found it extremely helpful! It was the one that really made me zip in, even in the nasty weather and speak to my vet.

Last edited:
After the dogs massacred most of my flock, the birds were very stressed. Rodney got some sort of respiratory infection. The vet thought it was brought on by stess and being exposed to me and my severe cold. Rodney sneezed and had a snotty nose. The vet gave him antibiotics, and he cleared up. We got some new pullets. I don't consider them replacements because they are not the same breed as the lost ones, but they are nice additions. Anyway, a month later we put them all together and a bunch started sneezing. Everybody was eating and drinking good and egg laying was slow but ok for this time of year. Everybody went on antibiotics. Everybody looks well, but I have still have 2 hens sneezing. I am hoping it is nothing serious. The group sneezing did start when I changed bedding and put a bunch of new straw down. When the weather improves I plan on letting everyone out for a day and changing all of the bedding. I hope it's just the straw causing the trouble.

Back
Top Bottom