New Pullets Are Honking? **2nd UPDATE**

Quote:
Thank you!
hugs.gif

Terrimycin is an antibiotic. I bought some at Tractor Supply. It can come in water soluable type that you add to water (or the electrolite you are buying) OR it comes in a gel tube. I used both. Used the gel on the eye and the soluble stuff in the water.

Please call the man you got them from and tell him they are ill. He will need to treat his birds too/

Also, when/if you go to the vet would you let us know what they say?

Keep us informed. Sick chickens are sad chickens
sad.png

OHHH and make sure you practice good biosecurity with your other birds. Change clothes from the coop to where you sickly ones are and wash your hands...a lot!

good luck!
Christina

Quote:
Do you have any idea how long the Terrimycin lasts in their systems? Does it effect eggs for life? My boyfriend and two of our kid's are allergic to Pen/Amox/Arythromyicin. So with that antibiotic having the "cin" in it worrys me. I just sent an e-mail to the guy I bought them from.

I did get to thinking though, this may have been my fault? I put them in the same pen I had my pullet in while she was recovering from a pecking wound. I didn't change out the bedding in it (figured it would be ok since she was only in it for 2 days). Could they be getting sick from the bedding that my pullet was in? Even if my pullets appear to be fine? I just realized this after sending the guy an e-mail and ran out to the shed and got new bedding for them!!
he.gif

I'm dealing with the sick chickies in here while my b/f is dealing with our hen's outside. He hasn't even touched one of the new girls so I think we should be ok if we continue doing this.

Quote:
Not your fault. This sounds lots different from a pecking wound.. It doesn't affect eggs for life, just about 3 weeks or so after the last does of meds.
Do the birds have runny noses? Make sure you take a wet washcloth and wipe off any gunk that gets stuck there...

Keep us posted
wink.png

christina

Quote:
Not your fault. This sounds lots different from a pecking wound.. It doesn't affect eggs for life, just about 3 weeks or so after the last does of meds.
Do the birds have runny noses? Make sure you take a wet washcloth and wipe off any gunk that gets stuck there...

Keep us posted
wink.png

christina

The one with the gunky eye had some green stuff by it's nostril. I just got that off and am trying to get them to drink on their own. I may have to take a syringe and do it for them if they don't drink in the next 15 min's or so.

Oh dear... This is what I was afraid of. Make sure you keep them apart and warm. I see where someone recommended the electrolytes. That's good and if you have any Oxine AH I would mist them down with it. It's really hard to say if what they have will leave them carriers without knowing exactly what they have. Just be sure to practice good biosecurity measures with them.

Ok, I'm heading to the feed store now to get some Terrimycin, hopefully they have it!

My question is will they be carriers for this (what seems to be sinus infection)? If so what would happen if I put them in with my existing birds and just treated them all?

Back
Top Bottom