New Quail not laying eggs

wobblyg

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 5, 2015
Hi can anyone help me I bought 30 jumbo quail, these quail were laying eggs before I got them they were all housed together males and females. The proportion to male and female is 1 to 4. I have had them for 2 days now with no eggs. They were definitely laying at the place i bought them from. I did have to travel with them some distance to get them to my house. I am wondering if stress could cause them not to lay. I have added some electrolyte solution to their water today. Does anyone have any advice for me. By the way I am in the Southern hemisphere so it is summer here

Last edited:
Hi.
When I first got my quail, they didn't start laying eggs until two weeks later. They just need time to adapt to their new surroundings, so just be patient. The whole ordeal of long distance travel and a brand new home is putting some stress on them.
Don't forget to feed them a high protein feed of around 22% or higher, as well as calcium supplements such as grit or crushed oyster shell to aid in egg development for the females.

I'm in the southern hemisphere as well, so they should continue to lay until winter, or when the weather gets cooler. Breeding season ends in March, I believe. In winter, they won't lay unless you provide additional lighting to extend the amount of daylight they get.

Back
Top Bottom