NEW QUESTIONS ADDED BELOW...I need knowledge I don't yet have about all things Water Belly

Beamerz

Songster
Sep 23, 2020
Martha's Vineyard Island, MA
I had posted this as an answer to the excellent video of how to drain a chicken but as it was a reply to another post I didn't get any feedback which I am needing.

I have a chicken ( more than one now) with water belly and I've been searching for answers.
I think I know what caused it. I scored free veg cast offs from a supermarket "produce manager" who directed me to outdoor bins ( garbage cans with lids) Much of the contents looked not bad at all about 10% of it was not something I'd choose but there was some sawdust and I know they put that on the floors to mop up in work areas.. I'm new to chickens ( under a year to date), but trying hard to learn.

I was delighted with the produce connection and did NOT stop to think about what I was doing. I think I introduced a pathogen because today I inspected my flock of 2 roos and 14 hens... and I have 3 other hens that have some degree of water belly as well. These birds are all approx. 1 year old.

The hen most affected is one I just put with my white crested cockerel about 2-3 weeks ago. He had been so bullied by the other roo ( 4 months older), that I had split my coop and gave the younger roo one hen). This is the hen I first noticed had water belly. I was thinking gyno because the young roo has been at her quite a bit as she is his only hen to date ( plan to introduce them slowly from those that the other roo doesn't seem to pay attention to ( advise me if this is stupid please but it is another subject)...

But today I noticed that 3 of the 13 other hens with the Supreme Ruler Roo on his side of the divided coop,... also have a little bit of water belly and I came to the conclusion that this is not gyno induced in any way that the only common denominator here was this Vegetable Factor . This veg was lots of outside cabbage leaves, kale etc.. but I noticed some sawdust in it and I washed some of it in plain water .. just wasn't using my brain as I was so happy to have this treat for them. I actually got veg from this source 3 times.. and then it began to dawn on me and I stopped and began to consider "everything".

We had a hawk attack about 3 weeks ago and I've had the flock on 95% lockdown as I've been nursing one bird back from the brink. This made this new found "treat".. all the more valuable for my poor jailbirds. I've also been delivering hoed up weeds from the garden to the coop, anything green ( in the North of the coast of Mass here)

So I'm posing this question now? Could this be caused by a bacteria ? I have to conclude yes and if so how can I aid the body in riding it from these hens that are showing varying degrees of water belly. Is there an antibiotic I can administer. I want to buy the scalp vein set and will seek that out today. Any input from experienced people seriously appreciated. If your not all that experienced, not a problem, but just let me know that if you would. I feel like I am going to have 4 birds on the "wire". Thank you so much! BYC is a model for world peace.

Sorry I don't know much that could help. Other than making sure in the future the birds receive a balanced diet and not make any sudden changes in diet.

Sorry I don't know much that could help. Other than making sure in the future the birds receive a balanced diet and not make any sudden changes in diet.
Thank you so much for your input.. I had begun to suspect this.. I'm confused because the "swelling has gone down without intervention to half of what it once was, but she is laying eggs with shells so thin that they break extremely easily in her nest when she sits back on them. I've been giving her scrambled eggs to which I can easily add a full capsule of calcium... Any feed back would be appreicated because I do not know what to think at this point... It would seem if it were Ascites it would not revert on it's own to any degree yes? Is it ever normal for a hen to have any swelling in her belly because I have 3-4 hens with some differing degrees of what feels like "water" ( mostly seem minor but present, when compared to those who have none...) very confused.. They hate their green layer pellets that I'd stocked up 6 bags ahead on ... ( I live on an island and wanted to be sure I had food for my hens this winter/ spring)... Thanks for any feedback because I'm pretty confused.. in my ignorance but trying to read, and learn each day.

Sometimes a fat bird will feel like a water belly. There is a difference, but can sometimes be hard to tell if you haven't felt it before. Fat tends to be squishier, water belly a bit firmer.
Water belly (ascites) is a symptom of another condition like organ failure (liver or heart in particular) or cancer or infection (reproductive problems). Most birds with ascites will just continue to get worse until they pass, once a bird develops ascites their condition is usually pretty advanced.
I would stop giving the extra stuff, and just give them their regular feed. You can mix it with water to make a mash for a treat, they usually like it that way. Any extra stuff can water down their nutrition. Some greens can mess up calcium absorption (any high in oxalic acid, which includes spinach, kale, beet greens, etc). Amounts should be limited and I wouldn't give daily. That may be a factor in thin shelled eggs.
1 year old is a bit young to see so many with ascites, so I suspect you may have fat birds instead, unless you have something diseasewise going through your flock. It happens easily if feed is not balanced and their are too many extras, some birds are more prone by genetics to get fat, or have abdominal deposits of fat. Fat birds, or birds with a lot of abdominal fat will also have a higher percentage of heath problems, including laying issues, prolapse, or fatty liver disease (which can cause ascites also, or sudden death).
If you were to lose one, I would recommend a necropsy (even an informal one) to see if you have lots of abdominal fat, or other health issues going on. Often necropsy is the best (or only) way to know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom